PDA

View Full Version : cyser with orange blossom honey

meadsome
10-10-2009, 12:30 AM
I want to make a cyser and I have some great orange blossom honey my first thought is that the citrus and apple do not mix. I know in mead you can do anything you want but I am looking for a apple / cinnamon flavor what are your thoughts on using orange blossom in a cyser? Positives and negatives

capoeirista13
10-10-2009, 12:46 AM
I made an orange vanilla cyser using orange blossom honey and it came out to be AMAZING.

akueck
10-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Keep in mind that OB honey does not taste like oranges. Honey comes from the nectar of flowers, not from the fruit. So OB honey will taste and smell something like orange blossoms, but not anything like oranges. Same goes for all other honey, e.g. avocado honey doesn't taste like avocados.

capoeirista13
10-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Keep in mind that OB honey does not taste like oranges. Honey comes from the nectar of flowers, not from the fruit. So OB honey will taste and smell something like orange blossoms, but not anything like oranges. Same goes for all other honey, e.g. avocado honey doesn't taste like avocados.

That is a REALLY good point, and a misconception that I was under too. I've noticed that orange honey does have a significant citrus flavor to it.

meadsome
10-10-2009, 09:52 AM
yes I agree I can taste the flower but also a strong citrus taste which I was worried would not go with my cider. however if I try to make a orange vanilla cyser like capoeirista13 that might just be my answer as I am worried the citrus and apple cider will not mix why not work with them.

capoeirista13
10-10-2009, 03:08 PM
This is the brewlog if you're curious.

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13932

Medsen Fey
10-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Orange blossom honey and apple cider can work really well together. :)

MagicNinja
10-12-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm going to be starting an orange blossom cyser here soon as well. We spent most of this weekend pressing cider, got about 40 gallons. 11 went to cider, 6 for us, and 5 for another friend. And the rest has been distributed amongst our "family" we have 41 quarts. So I'll be starting some cyser this week. I was only going to do 1 gallon, but with as much as we have I may go ahead and do 3.

I also started a gallon batch of traditional with the orange blossom honey, i'm really exited, because the honey is REALLY good, and it's my official first batch of mead.

capoeirista13
10-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice! Good luck with your venture!

afdoty
10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm going to be starting an orange blossom cyser here soon as well.

Hey Ninja, Maybe put together a recipe and let everyone have a look at it before you start. Also, if you haven't gone through the NewBee guide, it's a most excellent reference.