• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

American Honey: 2 times world winner

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Interestingly I had reserved tickets to go to this event because I want to start drawing more international participants to Got Mead, as well as attract more European Meadmakers to the Mazer Cup. I've been in contact with an Italian Meadery, and one of the the Slovak meaderies who competed in the Mazer Cup International, Vcelovina (VUH-chel-oh-vina) took a Gold and a Silver Medal in Montpelier.

Vcelovina's Bohemiana brand was awarded the gold medal in the Traditional Mead category, and their new brand of mead, Pressburger was awarded the silver in metheglin.

Another reason that I wanted to go (aside from the location and venue) is that Montpelier is the region that K1-V1116 came from, in the Languedoc region of France. That area is rapidly growing in high quality wine production and I really wanted to check it out, but unfortunately we were in a very tight project time line at the office and I was unable to go.

Cheers,

Oskaar

A

andrewschwab

She was at our state beekeeping convention a couple years ago. Very nice women.
Then I come across her at a national bee convention, she was looking for someone to make her a mead with her honey. This was 2 years ago. BUT it may be worth contacting her if you live close, and can give top notch results.

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
She was at our state beekeeping convention a couple years ago. Very nice women.
Then I come across her at a national bee convention, she was looking for someone to make her a mead with her honey. This was 2 years ago. BUT it may be worth contacting her if you live close, and can give top notch results.

Sourwood makes an excellent traditional mead...I've done 2 traditional batches to date and have used it in a peach Mel. The flavor is floral, very sutile and light. And from the sounds of her honey, it would be something to die for…almost die for.

FYI: I picked up 20# Summer Thistle Honey in VA once and found that it was very similar to the Sourwood...and a couple $ cheaper.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Sourwood makes an excellent traditional mead...I've done 2 traditional batches to date and have used it in a peach Mel. The flavor is floral, very sutile and light. And from the sounds of her honey, it would be something to die for…almost die for.

FYI: I picked up 20# Summer Thistle Honey in VA once and found that it was very similar to the Sourwood...and a couple $ cheaper.

Almost. :)

I really love how the bees do 99.99% of the work, and humans get the credit.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns