PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum

wildoates
10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
It was worth it! One good thing about this whole surgery thing is that I'll have people here who can help me taste the mead!

Except that I probably won't be able to drink any for a while. :)

(btw, your Sisyphus avatar drives me mad--it's exactly how I feel right now! Why won't you just stay up there?! At least Sisyphus didn't have the rock bowl him over every time it came back down the ramp, though :-\)

afdoty
10-10-2009, 07:33 AM
It was worth it! One good thing about this whole surgery thing is that I'll have people here who can help me taste the mead!

Except that I probably won't be able to drink any for a while. :)

(btw, your Sisyphus avatar drives me mad--it's exactly how I feel right now! Why won't you just stay up there?! At least Sisyphus didn't have the rock bowl him over every time it came back down the ramp, though :-\)

You'll be back up to your old mead making, muffin baking, and cat dunking self in no time!

You know, it's not so much about just pushing the rock...more about where the rock has been pushed. Sisyphus never knew how good he had it...;)

"inque tuo sedisti Sisyphe, saxo"

Ever see the movie "Groundhog Day"?

wildoates
10-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey, Sisyphus deserved everything he got. :)

Oskaar
10-10-2009, 02:58 PM
At least he's just pushing a rock up a hill. It would suck to be Tantalus!

wildoates
10-10-2009, 06:18 PM
It sure would!

Ouch ouch ouch

Angelic Alchemist
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
At least he's just pushing a rock up a hill. It would suck to be Tantalus!

...or Promethius.

afdoty
10-13-2009, 04:55 PM
...or Promethius.

Ahhhh, what's a Liver between friends.

Oskaar
10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
No liver is complete without some fava beans and a nice ChiAnti! Thuuuthuuthuuthuuthuu

wildoates
10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm happy to see our classical educations have not been neglected. :)

Angelic Alchemist
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm happy to see our classical educations have not been neglected. :)

I take obtuse pleasure in pointing out that most Roman numeral clocks have the wrong 4. They usually sport "IIII" when it should be "IV" -- I actually purchased a clock once just because it had the correct 4 on it.

Hey, these smarts gotta get used somewhere.

Oskaar
10-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Cogito ergo spud!

I think therefore I yam!

Angelic Alchemist
10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Cogito ergo spud!

I think therefore I yam!

Carpe Diem: Today's special is fish.

wayneb
10-13-2009, 10:10 PM
I refuse to be baited like that!

wildoates
10-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Seize it!

Either the carpe or the day. :)

AToE
10-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I take obtuse pleasure in pointing out that most Roman numeral clocks have the wrong 4. They usually sport "IIII" when it should be "IV" -- I actually purchased a clock once just because it had the correct 4 on it.

Seriously? I have never in my (admittedly short) life seen anyone, or any clock use IIII for 4, let alone "most"... very weird. I wonder if it is an American thing like leaving all the "u"s out of words like flavour.;)

The only roman numeral I've ever seen two options for is 39, either XXXIX or IXL.

Oskaar
10-13-2009, 10:15 PM
I refuse to be baited like that!

Face it you're hooked!

OK . . . no more thread jacking from me.

wildoates
10-13-2009, 10:17 PM
It's a lot more fun around here when you're posting, Pete. :)

Angelic Alchemist
10-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Face it you're hooked!

OK . . . no more thread jacking from me.

FINished already?

wayneb
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
FINished already?

Can it be? Angel's gillty of causing Oskaar to skate around a pun thread?

wildoates
10-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Forgive me if I flounder about here, but I'm awash with the giddiness of good news from the doc(k)tor and can't kelp myself.

Angelic Alchemist
10-13-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm just going with the flow of the tides here. I think this conversation is out of my league: I'm feeling like a fish out of water.

Oskaar
10-14-2009, 01:33 AM
I just didn't want to jack this thread on porpoise, but it's not like me to clam up and not participate in a good pun thread since I'd normally do it for the halibut anyhow. I thought I smelt a pun-a-thon in the making so I pier-ed into my bag o puns and mussel-ed a few from the deep. Some were pearls but I tossed the ones that weren't up to scale back. Wahoo, this is fun!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Medsen Fey
10-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Oskaar, you're just the manta jack a thread. You just dive in and make a splash. While others might shark their responsibilities, you've got the spear-it to keep a thread buoyed up.

And Jen, I hope you don't actually need a sturgeon. Get whale soon! :)

wildoates
10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
I do have some surgeonfish time coming down the pike, but the results of the catfish scan were good and hopefully the nurse sharks will take such good carp of me they can sand me home in a day or so--because I don't like feeling eel. I'll perch on the edge of the hospital bed until I can gobie home. It cod be a lot worse, I'm blennie grateful. I don't want to croakie. ;D

Angelic Alchemist
10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Ono! Seaweed you started, Ooskar? Shore, I like a good pun thread as much as the next old salt that surfs the net, but these lines are getting unfathomably choppy!

epetkus
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I propepose a canoe rule thatoll threadjackers here must send a message-ina-bottle of their drink to the groupbrew crew for our indulgence in this wild rant of fish -n- sea messages! ;D

Eric

Oskaar
10-14-2009, 09:15 PM
OMG, I almost Flounder-ed to the darkside and lost my Sole! We'll have to Krait up these puns and spare our fair Damsels the horror of further pun-tification!

There is a Ray of hope yet fair Hamlet!

Poobah58
10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
The group brew thread has taken an evil turn! :confused:

Medsen Fey
10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Indeed, quite a GAFF....

afdoty
10-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Seems like something we should all "tackle". We're being baited.............

Angelic Alchemist
10-15-2009, 04:11 PM
I have a sinking feeling that pooling all these clever people in one place is causing ripples in the water. I know I'm breeching one of my own rules, but I could really use a glass of port in order to deal with this pun feeding frenzy.

Medsen Fey
10-15-2009, 04:21 PM
I hope you harbor no resentment sea-ing how you did cast the first stone.

Angelic Alchemist
10-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Why are you JACKing with me? Wayne was the BIG KAHUNA who sent the first pun down the PIPELINE.

ashaman
10-17-2009, 10:31 PM

There are several possible historical and practical reasons for that

-Tradition established by the oldest surviving clock, Wells_Cathedral_clock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Cathedral_clock) dating to the 1300s.
-Easier for clockmakers to use the same template 4 times for all digits VIIIIIX.
-IV was sometimes used as a notation for Jupiter, IVPPITER, so IIII was substituted.
-Subtractive notation as a standard is relatively recent, for example on Harvard Medical School's Gordon Hall, which reads MDCCCCIIII for 1904 instead of MCMIV.

Okay, I copied a lot from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals#Calendars_and_clocks