PDA

View Full Version : How's this for crazy?

ibwahooka
10-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Hey everyone, check out this news story from Maine. They're are trying to not sell naturally carbonated soda to minors.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/126224.html

-Shawn

akueck
10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Drinking something without alcohol in it can carry a fine? So if I put kool-aid in a beer bottle and gave it to some 10 year old in Maine, they'd arrest me? Wow, people need to chill. Next they'll go after kombucha. :rolleyes:

Kee
10-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow. I'm actually speechless...

Angelic Alchemist
10-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Drinking something without alcohol in it can carry a fine? So if I put kool-aid in a beer bottle and gave it to some 10 year old in Maine, they'd arrest me? Wow, people need to chill. Next they'll go after kombucha. :rolleyes:

Kombucha, herbal tinctures, vanilla extract, Nyquil, mouthwash...

I'm sorry, but any kid who is going to drink a case of naturally fermented lemonade to try and catch a buzz has other issues going on that are beyond the legal systems help.

Medsen Fey
10-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Folks we are only a couple of generations removed from Prohibition! Thank goodness the economic mess of this country means the Feds can ill afford to give up the tax revenue from hooch. Otherwise these crazies could rise up trying smite demon liquor once again. :rolleyes:

Angelic Alchemist
10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Correct, Mr. Fey! The 3 largest industries in the USA are ETOH, tobacco and pr0n. Go fig.

Medsen Fey
10-22-2009, 11:52 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/CarryNation.jpeg

I don't know about y'all, but if this is what temperance looks like, I'd rather drink myself blind. :p

afdoty
10-22-2009, 12:04 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/CarryNation.jpeg

I don't know about y'all, but if this is what temperance looks like, I'd rather drink myself blind. :p

There was a saying during the early temperance movement...."lips that touch wine, won't touch mine"......bet there wasn't a whole lot of kissin going on!

socpsy
10-22-2009, 12:07 PM
She's probably one of the reasons why I live in a dry county in Arkansas. This was her last stop before she went to the Great Beyond. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/socpsy/shrug.gif

akueck
10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Churches got an exception from Prohibition (how does that make sense???), so we could always just claim that we are all Pastafarians and mead is our sacred drink. It goes with spaghetti, right?

Arcanum
10-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Churches got an exception from Prohibition (how does that make sense???), so we could always just claim that we are all Pastafarians and mead is our sacred drink. It goes with spaghetti, right?

You can find or make a mead that goes with anything. :D

Oskaar
10-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Only if you get ordained, start a corporation and file as a tax free, not-for-profit faith-based organization. O0

Angelic Alchemist
10-22-2009, 05:19 PM

WWFSMD? (I have the bumper sticker AND the coffee mug!)

ibwahooka
10-22-2009, 08:55 PM
The whole thing interested me since I also make my own soda (naturally carbonated of course) and my job sometimes takes me to different parts of the country. So, this would stink if I was up in that part of the country and wanted to give my daughter and her friends some homemade soda. I would be caught supplying to a minor.

Silly lawmakers, stay away from my brew!

Angelic Alchemist
10-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I think you're okay giving your own kid a homemade soda, but if you gave it to her friends you'd be screwed...if you got caught.

Sasper
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Only if you get ordained, start a corporation and file as a tax free, not-for-profit faith-based organization. O0

The Mazer cup sounds like a good vehicle :). Mead making is based on faith most of the time haha.

Angelic Alchemist
10-22-2009, 11:13 PM
The Mazer cup sounds like a good vehicle :). Mead making is based on faith most of the time haha.

If the next round of photos shows Oskaar and the mead mentors in long ceremonial robes, I'm outta here. :o

akueck
10-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Wait, if we file for the tax-free thing, that also gives us a loophole around the (not very enforced) 100/200 gallon yearly limit. This is a great idea! Every brew club should sign up for this. Think they'll catch on?

Sasper
10-23-2009, 12:38 AM
If the next round of photos shows Oskaar and the mead mentors in long ceremonial robes, I'm outta here. :o

I'd be down for joining a mead cult. Give me spiked melomel instead of Kool-Aid though ;).

wildoates
10-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Personally, I'd like the gubmint to keep its hands off me and mine in general--there are a few things government does well, but darned few, and this ain't one o' them.

This is totally stupid. I have a friend who's a muslim and she's dead set against alcohol, even in medicine or something like vanilla extract. You try to tell her it boils away during cooking but she will have no part of it. It's just insane. I don't want my teens going out getting sloshed every weekend (assuming I had teenagers, which I haven't for almost 10 years), but the little bit of alcohol in soda?

FOR.PETE'S.SAKE

Fisher kel Tath
10-27-2009, 03:26 AM

Well, some of us, Mead is considered a sacred drink (and is blessed and offered as a sacrifice)

Angelic Alchemist
10-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Well, some of us, Mead is considered a sacred drink (and is blessed and offered as a sacrifice)

They don't call it "Nectar of the Gods" fer nothin'!

STLBrewer
10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
WWFSMD? (I have the bumper sticker AND the coffee mug!)

Ah yes, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster...how in the heck did I forget about that?!?! ;D

Matrix4b
11-06-2009, 06:26 PM
This is just plain silly. There conserns:

1. It has 1/2 % ABV.

Many common foods have this or higher: Rumcake, beer batter bratts, heck even toothpaste and mouthwash have at least that amount. So this is just plain bunk. As stated when there kid gets sick do they refrain from using any type of coff syrup? Nope, no conserns of it. Also, what about cooking with many extracts, Mint, Almond, Vanilla, think that when you make cookies and cook at 350 degrees that it all burns off? Nope. So, double bunk.

2. Looks like alcohol because the bottle. That kid's will think it cool to drink it because they can fool other kids into thinking that they are cooler by drinking.

This is more of an upbringing problem. And besides, How many funky energy drinks and other bottles out there look like Beer cans and Bottles? Hello, ICB rootbeer for on looks exactly like a beer bottle, some anyway. So this is just bunk.

3. I don't really have a 3. Didn't look like they listed any other "Conserns" that they had. SO, really this is just a silly attempt to control the market and just plain parental sillyness. That worry energy should be spent teaching their kids to handle their lives and comsuption wisely. I say if you think that you will have a problem with your kid drinking then you should get then plastered with your adult supervison. When they pass out then their syblings and the like can play all sorts of pranks on them, the frat classics. Then when they get up in the morning with a hang over you get them up early and work them making things extra noisy. Make them sweat.

With this approch you can then ask them when you let up with pity, "Was it worth it?" "Are you going to become a drunk? Or are you going to drink more wisely like every other decent person?" Never mind the idiots. If more kids first get drunk under close adult supervison and are asked afterwards about what if felt like and do they like behaving in that way you can weed out the idiots and have a much safer teen. If it turns out bad then lesson learned for the parent to watch the kid closer.

I think that the goverment employee just forwarded it on because he didn't want to deal with it.

Medsen Fey
11-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I say if you think that you will have a problem with your kid drinking then you should get then plastered with your adult supervison...

I cannot argue the logic of your suggestion. Sometimes experience is the very best teacher, and if it is done safely, such an approach is sure to be educational.

Unfortunately, the DCF (Department of Children and Family Services here in Florida; your state may have another name) will almost assuredly consider this child abuse and it might subject you to criminal prosecution. Your child would likely be taken out of your home, and only allowed to return if you are no longer permitted there. In their all knowing wisdom, they may trample all over the best interests of your child and your family following "policy." Unfortunately those policies which are written to prevent gross abuse create a net that catches everything in it, and no one in these agencies is empowered to exercise even a modicum of common sense and discretion.

Think I'm exaggerating? Did you see the story (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12720&highlight=lemonade+mike) about the kid and Mike's Hard Lemonade.