PDA

View Full Version : Bottle early?

sattlerjm
10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
OK so I'm 8 weeks into my first batch JAO. Still bubbling but very slow now. Its cold in the house right now it is 60, but usually not less than that and it was really warm 2 months go. I pulled a taste out two days ago its actually very nice, if not a touch hot.

I can pull a gravity reading now but have no OG. Anyway the real question is my girlfriend and I are going to meet her parents for the first time this weekend. My girlfriend says it would help make a good impression if I brought a bottle with me, even if they have to wait for it to finish and age.

I am concerned about creating headspace as well as a bunch of other things. I imagine that the finish product would end up "sparkling", in that bottle.

Thoughts? ideas? smack on the back of the head?

Medsen Fey
10-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Bottling fermenting mead is a good way to create flying glass shrapnel; probably not a good way to make a first impression. Besides showing up to meet the parents saying, "I make my own hooch" may giving them the idea you have a drinking problem. Believe me, when you have daughters those are the kinds of things you try to determine when you meet a young fellow.

Arcanum
10-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Bottling prior to this weekend is pretty much out of the question unless your gravity is already very low (less than 1.002 gravity or so) or you have a filtration system with 0.5 micron filters. You'll end up with exploding bottles otherwise. Shattered glass and sticky mead all over the place would not make a good impression.

A month ago cold crashing would've been an option, but that requires a couple weeks to knock out the yeast and at least a few days to make sure fermentation doesn't restart despite the sorbate and sulfite.

Angelic Alchemist
10-22-2009, 02:00 PM
That would qualify as a smack on the back of the head, Mr. Fey!

The exception to that rule is if the parents are heavy drinkers, in which case showing up with a nice bottle of their favorite wine is pretty classy, plus it takes the edge off the evening's nervousness. If they are normal, then maybe get some nice chocolates for the mother (as long as she's not trying to loose weight). Ask your lady what kind mom likes. If mom's happy, everyone's happy. If she's trying to loose weight, then bring flowers for the house. Unless they have allergies. Okay, enough advice from the single lady.

Whatever you do, don't bring the bottle bomb.

sattlerjm
10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Bottling fermenting mead is a good way to create flying glass shrapnel; probably not a good way to make a first impression. Besides showing up to meet the parents saying, "I make my own hooch" may giving them the idea you have a drinking problem. Believe me, when you have daughters those are the kinds of things you try to determine when you meet a young fellow.

Well I'm not exactly young anymore, but I can see your point.

Either way you and Arcanum make a good point and one that I was already concerned about. I will just have to ship them a bottle when it is properly done. Thanks alot guys.