PDA

View Full Version : Sloooooowwww Fermentation

tom5head
10-24-2009, 03:02 PM
So I have done 6 batches of mead now...or at least have them aging. The first four I used D47 Yeast and did not use any initial nutrients other than fruit. The bubbling in the airlocks was minimal from day 1. Now 4 months later there are still constant teeny bubbles running up the sides of the carboy with the occasional bubble in the air lock and they are all pretty hazy. I had two other batches using different strains of yeast and added nutrient during the primary those went CRAZY the first few days and now after a month and a half have no activity and are nice and clear. Is it possible after 4 months these D47 batches are still fermenting? I have racked all the D47 batches a few times but after a few days the little bubbles start again. Thoughts...?

afdoty
10-24-2009, 03:10 PM
So I have done 6 batches of mead now...or at least have them aging. The first four I used D47 Yeast and did not use any initial nutrients other than fruit. The bubbling in the airlocks was minimal from day 1. Now 4 months later there are still constant teeny bubbles running up the sides of the carboy with the occasional bubble in the air lock and they are all pretty hazy. I had two other batches using different strains of yeast and added nutrient during the primary those went CRAZY the first few days and now after a month and a half have no activity and are nice and clear. Is it possible after 4 months these D47 batches are still fermenting? I have racked all the D47 batches a few times but after a few days the little bubbles start again. Thoughts...?

Hard to say, Tom.... bubbling in the air lock isn't necessarily a sign of good or bad fermentation rates or weather a batch has actually stopped fermenting. Racking won't kill off the yeasts.....Did you add anything to stabilize the batches?

Medsen Fey
10-24-2009, 04:31 PM
tom5head,
We can probably give you some better info if you will please provide the details of your recipe and process.

Mead fermentations can take months with insufficient nutrients.

tom5head
10-24-2009, 08:49 PM
These are the same ones I've been struggling with for a while. I think they are just fermenting super slow. I was curious if this was a bad thing or not or if I should force it to stop. If it's no big deal I'll just run its course. No I haven't put anything in to stabilize it...maybe I should. I'll use these two of the four for a sample recipe. I don't want to bore you with all of them. Actually this one I added Nutrient around day 3 on batch1, not by choice I forgot to by it in advance in my excitement....I forgot until I looked at it again. I wonder if I just got some bunk D47....I bought all the D47 packets on the same day.

BATCH 1:
7/12/09
5 gallon water
13.5 lbs Spring Mix Honey
12 Strawberries
2.5 cup blueberries
1 plum
D47 Yeast
4tsp nutrient (day3)

Rack #1 7/31/09
2.5 lb honey w/slight water to dilute
note: fermentation restarts

Rack #2 8/23/09
1/2 lb water w/slight water to dilute...used to fill space loss from sediment at bottom of carboy.

Rack # 3 9/30/09 - fill 50/50 water honey to top off

BATCH #3 6/27/09
D47 Yeast
13lbs Spring Mix Honey
200 Raisins

1st Rack 7/18/09

2nd Rack 7/31/09
2lb honey w/water to fill loss

3rd Rack 8/23/09
1/2 lb honey w/slight water o fill loss

Rack #4 9/30/09 - top of 50/50 honey water.

tom5head
10-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Now this batch here went extremely strong for 4-5 days. I could barely stir/shake it without getting blow off. This one is about 1 1/2 months old and has been racked once. It's quite attractive, great smell and a beautiful color...pretty darn clear too. The other thing I did have for the two batches that went strong is the stirring attachment I put on my drill after heating the honey and water to get air back in the mix....I didn't have this yet when I did the earlier ones...

18.5 lbs Spring Mix Honey (didn't get 20lbs)
1 packet Red Star Montrachet
3Qt Welch's juice (not concentrated)
2 lb black seedless grapes (smashed and in cloth)
4.5 Gallons Water (used tap this time instead of spring water, my well water tastes pretty good)
5 Teaspoon Energizer
5 Teaspoon Nutrient
Gravity just barely shy 1.1

Rack # 1 - 4 weeks after primary, pulled fruit.....looks great

wayneb
10-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Oxygen early on in fermentation has an incredible effect on the rate. No surprise that your aerated batch has gone so much faster than the previous batches.

One thing to keep in mind is that D47 is the yeast that keeps on trying. Somewhat like the energizer bunny, that strain will continue to ferment, albeit slowly, under the most challenging of circumstances. What you are describing for your earlier batches is perfectly normal for D47.

afdoty
10-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Did you take the intial SG for batches 1 and 3? Where are they now?

tom5head
10-25-2009, 06:07 PM
No...I'm a little ADD. Got too excited on the first four and just started throwing stuff together willy nilly which I am quickly learning is not the best approach. Live and learn. So if this is fairly normal for D47 I feel a little better. I was just wondering if the yeast keeps trying if I would get off flavors from straining the yeast that may not go away.

tom5head
10-31-2009, 10:52 PM
One last question. All the D47 batches seem to have a slight carbonation...kind of weird right?

afdoty
11-01-2009, 06:34 AM
One last question. All the D47 batches seem to have a slight carbonation...kind of weird right?

No, not so weird.... At least in my experience with D47. It will continue to bubble for a very long time. I've got a couple batches, just a little older than yours (made in May) that still show signs of bubbles. That's one of the big problems with bottling and not stabilizing...they’ll keep fermenting in the bottle (bottle bomb!). Let you batches age...typically I'll bulk age for a year...before bottling, stabilize with sulfites and Sorbate.

tom5head
11-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Why does it say "egg" under my screen name where you guys have "mead mentor" and such? Does it stand for something?

wildaho
11-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Why does it say "egg" under my screen name where you guys have "mead mentor" and such? Does it stand for something?
Use the "User CP" link under the header and then select "Edit Your Details" on the left side of the screen. In the second box that appears ("Optional Information") is a section for "Custom User Title". Put in whatever you like and then click on "Reset". You now have a custom user title!

:cheers:
Wade

wayneb
11-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Additionally, it suggests that Oskaar is experimenting again with the titles given to those relative newcomers here - those having fewer than 100 posts appear to be eggs, then one progresses to larva, etc.

Of course if you join as a Patron, you are called a Patron. ;D

tom5head
11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
That's pretty funny. I kind of had a feeling it was an inside joke. I can handle that.