• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Meadowfoam Traditional Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
A one gallon meadowfoam traditional mead just started following Vicky's exacting recipe. I plan to follow it as closely as I can.

3 lbs. Meadowfoam honey
Water to 1 gallon
5 g Lalvin D-47 yeast
1 gram Go-Ferm
2 grams Fermaid K at end of lag phase
3 grams Fermaid K at 1/3 sugar break
3 grams DAP

Process:
1. **Yeast Preparation:
a. Prepare a solution of 100 ml tap H2O @110°F + 1 g Go-Ferm (1/4 tsp.)
b. Add 5 g of D47 when temperature drops to 104°F and let stand 15 - 30 minutes maximum
c. Add 100 ml 30 brix must to the rehydrated yeast and mix well
d. Inoculate the must with the mixture and decant into your carboy or bucket

2. Cover with sanitized cloth and secure
3. Check brix every 12 hours and watch for foaming which indicates the end of the lag phase
4. At end of lag phase, aerate well and add mixture of 3 grams DAP (¾ tsp) and 2 grams Fermaid K (1/2 tsp.) rehydrated in 50 ml H2O
5. Aerate twice daily until 1/3 sugar break
6. At 1/3 sugar break add 3 grams Fermaid K (3/4 tsp.) rehydrated in 50 ml
H2O and aerate well
7. Airlock and put in racking rotation row
8. Swirl and rack (8 hours later) when airlock activity slows to 2-4 beats per minute or gravity is at 1.03X

Mixed everything up at room temperature. Starting gravity was 1.110. Everything went according to plan. Purchased the honey from a local source (Lamon Bee Acres and MCC Farms near Portland, OR). Looking forward to a successful fermentation. Just waiting for it to get through the lag phase now. I will be interested how this batch turns out.

Buzzer

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Looks like a good plan.

Would you like me to move this to the brewlog so that you may update it on an ongoing basis?

Cheers,

Oskaar

cam07ds

Mazer Cup International Staff
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2008
Parker, CO
this one sounds great. I have a Meadowfoam in bottle and it smells like opening a baggie with a warm smores in it..... And its tastes even better. Let us know how this turns out.

Steve

Sasper

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2009
I'm still waiting for mine to come around at 5 months old. It tastes a little funky but I have hope. The honeys so pleasant it should remain unadulterated by anything else.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns