PDA

View Full Version : Airag

errant
10-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Hey all, I've been making my mead for a while now and thought I'd like to try something different. Airag is a traditional Mongolian beverage of low alcohol content made from mare's milk. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in fermenting milk without the addition of extra sugars. The simplicity of fermenting milk with nothing else added appeals to me, my mead recipes are similar in their simplicity too. But, as my current recipes are hugely alcoholic, I've been wanting to try something that I can drink a lot of! What should I be looking at? Searching the forum for Lactomel doesn't really help as I wouldn't be adding honey, so, its not really a mead. Any info or discussion is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Smarrikåka
10-30-2009, 04:29 AM
The most common fermented milk product is probably yoghurt. Seems to me that milk has a tendency to "go thick" when fermenting without addition of other sugars. I'm not sure what you'd have to do to prevent that.

KingDave
10-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Why can't you drink a lot of something thats very alcoholic? Haha.

Fisher kel Tath
10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Why can't you drink a lot of something thats very alcoholic? Haha.

Depends on how alcoholic it is...sometimes you pass out before you get to a lot...

errant
10-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Depends on how alcoholic it is...sometimes you pass out before you get to a lot...

It's 20%, so, two 750ml bottles and I can't see straight! I'd like to make something in the 4% range...

UpsideDown
10-31-2009, 02:39 AM
Haven't tried to make it, but have tried to drink it!
A word of warning: just because something is low in alcohol, doesn't mean you'd actually want to drink a lot of it. I had trouble getting through a small glass, to be honest. I think it was a cow's milk variant, but I can't imagine the horse one being any tastier.

wildaho
10-31-2009, 02:41 AM
It's 20%, so, two 750ml bottles and I can't see straight! I'd like to make something in the 4% range...

Send a PM to Capoerista. They like low abv drinks as well.

akueck
10-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Just milk and you can get to 20% ABV? Really? I am skeptical.

I have also heard that this (along with all other Mongolian foods) is not very good. Now, my brother told me this and he is less adventurous with food than I am (though much more adventurous in travels) so take it for what it's worth. Personally I think Mongolian bbq is great (though probably heavily Americanized).

I also am a big fan of the low ABV stuff. Harder to do without adding some sort of bacteriostatic agent, so my "light" stuff is all beer. But I routinely make beers of less than 4% and they are great for everyday consumption (morning, noon and night if you so choose, haha). One caveat: low ABV means you have less room for error. With the low ABV usually comes low residual sugar and low bitterness/other flavors. Flaws stand out quite potently. So I would say practice on the standard stuff first before dialing it down. Low alcohol beverages are about finesse, whereas when you go for the super-high alcohol stuff it becomes more about "more" and little flaws and mix-ups are easier to hide. IMO.