PDA

View Full Version : Not sure when to rack...

Alker
11-02-2009, 03:02 AM
I started my first batch of mead on 10-21-09. Everything seems to have gone well but I don't know how soon i should rack. Its aproximately a 5 gallon batch with 15 pounds of honey and Lavlin 71B yeast. The fermentation has slowed down pretty significantly already. I was under the impression that the mead should sit for a few weeks before racking, but I just read something about this particular yeast being ready a little quicker. Any advice for a first timer?

Fisher kel Tath
11-02-2009, 04:17 AM
SG and OG?

afdoty
11-02-2009, 05:17 AM
I started my first batch of mead on 10-21-09. Everything seems to have gone well but I don't know how soon i should rack. Its aproximately a 5 gallon batch with 15 pounds of honey and Lavlin 71B yeast. The fermentation has slowed down pretty significantly already. I was under the impression that the mead should sit for a few weeks before racking, but I just read something about this particular yeast being ready a little quicker. Any advice for a first timer?

Hi Alker and welcome to Gotmead!! Glade you found the site. We kind of need to know some stuff about your batch.....Would you/could you post your exact recipe, ingredients, quantities and process please. What was your orig SG and what's it now? Do you have a way of messuring the PH? All this is helpfull when trying to give advise.

Alker
11-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Here's my recipe:

* 15 lbs of Miller's Wild Honey
* 4 gallons of spring water
* 2 tablespoons of yeast nutrient
* 2 tablespoons of yeast energizer
* 2 packets of Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast

After sanitizing everything I added about half of the water, then the honey. I mixed the yeast in water around 105 degrees F I believe and let it sit for like 15 minutes. I mixed up the energizer and nutrient separately, then added them both, along with the rest of the water, and stirred it up for a good 10 minutes. The airlock was bubbling when I checked on it maybe 12 hours later.

Alker
11-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Oh, and I tried to do a hydrometer reading the other day. If I read it correctly its around 1.1.

AToE
11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Was it maybe 1.010?

If it's 1.100 then you've barely had any fermentation, could be trouble.

Alker
11-02-2009, 08:04 PM
My mistake. Just did another reading that was around 1.010, and it was about 10 degrees warmer so probably even a little higher than that. Thanks for taking the time to help me out by the way, much appreciated.

afdoty
11-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Sounds like it's going pretty good, Alker. What's the 10 degrees warmer mean? The 71B will ferment to around an ABV of 14% with a temp range of about 60-80 degrees F. Depending on where the OG was, you should be getting close to finishing primary fermentation. Normally I'd let it ferment to about 1.010 before racking to secondary. Sounds like you've got a good batch going, man! How’s it taste?

Alker
11-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Instructions for the hydrometer say its most accurate when the liquid is at 60 degrees...followed by a number of correction points depending on how much warmer/colder it is. I was expecting it to take much longer than this. Guess I'll rack it sometime this week. Thanks again!