PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do?

ibwahooka
11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey everyone,
Just picked up 20lbs of watermelon honey from georgiabees.com.

What to do, what to do?

-Shawn

wildoates
11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, if it were me, I'd make mead with it. :)

ibwahooka
11-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Oh, forgot to mention. It's still warm from the hive.

:)

ibwahooka
11-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Well, if it were me, I'd make mead with it. :)

Well that's the obvious answer. I was thinking of eating a little bit of it first. :)

wildoates
11-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd do that, too, to put on my biscuits. :)

Oh, forgot to mention. It's still warm from the hive.Now that's just cruel.
>:(
:p

Oskaar
11-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey everyone,
Just picked up 20lbs of watermelon honey from georgiabees.com.

What to do, what to do?

-Shawn

You have a girlfriend? ;D

Kee
11-08-2009, 01:44 PM
What does watermelon honey look/taste like? What are the characteristics of it? I'm curious now.

ibwahooka
11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
What does watermelon honey look/taste like? What are the characteristics of it? I'm curious now.

Well it's a very light honey. It smells and tastes just like fresh watermelon.

I was thinking of just making a plain mead with this batch, but thought maybe a little bit of vanilla bean might be good.

Kee
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Well it's a very light honey. It smells and tastes just like fresh watermelon...

That sound amazing!

ibwahooka
11-09-2009, 10:17 PM
That sound amazing!

It really is. Go to www.georgiabees.com and get yourself a half-gallon or so. John is really good about getting his honey out to people, and I also understand some of our Florida friends regularly get his blackberry honey and win competitions with it.

Also, the next time I get out to AZ (should be a year or so) I will try to bring a bottle of the mead I make with the watermelon. That is of course I have any left over.

-Shawn

AToE
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
I still can't believe that the honey tastes like the fruit, weird that all the other honeys don't except for this one.

...maybe they're secretly blending in watermelon juice.:o

If not I'm going to have to put some on my short list for when I start going nuts on varietal traditionals.:)

ibwahooka
11-10-2009, 06:40 AM
I don't think he blends in any juice. His honeys have been used for competitions up in FL and as I understand GA had a really rainy spring that made the watermelon crops really go wild. He showed me some pictures of his hives being covered in vines. It was absolutely amazing.

Thesword
11-10-2009, 07:01 AM
I still can't believe that the honey tastes like the fruit, weird that all the other honeys don't except for this one.

A lot of honeys will retain a flavor of the fruit they came from. The big problem is that normally there are hundreds of different flavors mixed together. Any flowers with in 2 miles of the hive will have there flavors blended into the honey. But this is suppose to be about the mead.

Personally I'm not much of a fan of vanilla with watermelon, but that is me.

AToE
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Definitely on my list then, I'll have to get my hands on at least a gallon. Once I get through my yeast tests, some sur lie comparisons and additive tests I'm planning on going all out with varietal traditional, plan on buying enough of every honey I can find to make a 1 gal batch of each. Should get expensive!