PDA

View Full Version : Question about a specific recipe

shmoab
11-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Does anybody know the steps to "Nectar of the Goddess" Valhalla Vanilla Metheglin?

Oskaar
11-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Go to the main Got Mead website and do a search.

I personally am not impressed by the formulation in that recipe and would suggest that you think about what you want, read the newbies guide, and then post up your thoughts about what you would like to make. We can help you with that and come up with something that will end up better than the recipe you're asking about.

Cheers and good luck,

Oskaar

wayneb
11-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I have to agree with Oskaar (30 cloves and 30 allspice corns! Yikes!! :eek: ), and this brings up a point that we should make clear to all new Gotmeaders. There are lots of recipes in the Gotmead database. Some are very good and others, well... let's just say that they were "noble experiments" and let it go at that. Many of the early recipes here have not stood the test of time, since improved fermentation techniques, nutrient management, and simple recipe formulation have really raised the bar in the past decade, especially in the past couple of years. Oskaar's advice is right on! Take any recipe that you find here as a starting point for discussion, and use it to form the basis for asking questions that you might have, or developing plans for your own batches that you might want to make.

The only exception to that caveat would be the Gotmead Certified recipes that you can access if you are a Patron. Every one of those has been proven - either by independent attempts to make the same mead, or by "trial by contest" where they came home a medal winner. With those, you pretty much have Gotmead's acknowledgement that they make very good to great meads.

shmoab
11-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks for your replies. Good points. You really got me thinking. One problem is I expect too much. I tend to do that when I start out in something new. I need to stick with the basics, heck I just started my first batch last week! Let's see how this one turns out before I start setting the foundation for my own meadery. haha