PDA

View Full Version : Nutrient Energizer DAP Nitrogen?

DGettere
11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I was listening to a Basic Brewing Podcast on Mead and the expert he had on was talking about Nitrogen needs of yeast. He stated that DAP provides the Nitrogen and he said something to the effect of "The yeast packet will list whether it has a high nutrient or low nutrient need" Did he actually mean to say high or low Nitrogen need? I would assume he did as he was talking about Nitrogen at that point but he also said that DAP is the nutrient, but to confuse me more he just spoke about Fermaid-K and called that the nutrient.

Medsen Fey
11-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately the term nutrient gets thrown around quite a bit and sometimes applies to anything that is required for yeast to consume in order to grow. Sometimes it is used to refer to DAP or mixtures of DAP and urea that provide ammonium nitrogen. Sometimes it get used to refer to mixtures of DAP, amino nitrogen, yeast hulls, vitamins and minerals such as Fermaid K. The term "yeast energizer" is sometimes used for these combination products.

It makes things very confusing, and you do need to read the labels.

The manufacturers usually list the relative nitrogen requirement of the yeast, so that is probably what he was referring to, though it stands to reason that yeast requiring more nitrogen probably benefit from more of the other stuff as well.

You'll see most of the experienced mead makers here specify DAP or Fermaid K in their recipes. This makes it clear for everyone to understand.

I hope that helps.

Medsen