PDA

View Full Version : There's just something inherently wrong with this...

wildoates
11-12-2009, 04:51 AM
7-11 has their own wine labe (http://www.aldenteblog.com/2009/11/711-debuts-rivatelabel-wine.html)l?

Maybe if they dispensed it from the slurpee machine...

Oskaar
11-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Yes sir, no sir, thankyou verry much. Please come again.

afdoty
11-12-2009, 06:21 AM
Makes me wonder what the mark up on some wines is. Hmmmm.. Wine or lottery tickets.....decisions decisions...

wildoates
11-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Or nachos. Do I have enough change to buy the wine AND nachos?

Medsen Fey
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
A plonk by any other name....

Arcanum
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey, I'd at least try it! I mean, Trader Joe's has 2-buck chuck that is apparently decent. Hopefully it goes well with a hot dog slathered in chili and cheese.

It's probably depressingly low alcohol, though, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it in 7-11 in many places.

wildoates
11-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I don't have any objections to inexpensive wine, but it does make me laugh to think that, beyond just selling wine in their shops, they now have their own label. It's kind of like the Dollar Tree having their private label.
:eek:

Kee
11-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Too funny! Walmart has a 750ml wine that's less than $2. Actually, they have a couple in that price range. I can't imagine the quality, mark up, or care for a $2 wine. I don't think its a private label though.

Medsen Fey
11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Here in FL people are able to sell wine in convenience stores all over. Barefoot and Turning Leaf are quite common brands. It must sell, because folks are carrying these "fun and easy" wines just about everywhere.

AToE
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
That's one of the funniest parts of visiting the US, booze in the gas stations, booze in the supermarkets... nothing wrong with that at all obviously, it's just a bit of culture shock, since ours is only ever in liquour stores.:)

wildoates
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I just got e-mail from my son who said that Norwegians would WELCOME 12 kroner wine available at 7-11--which there is evidently one of downstairs from his apartment. :eek:

Another cherished illusion of European sophistication rudely shattered. >:(

Smarrikåka
11-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I just got e-mail from my son who said that Norwegians would WELCOME 12 kroner wine available at 7-11--which there is evidently one of downstairs from his apartment. :eek:

Another cherished illusion of European sophistication rudely shattered. >:(

I'd say this is much more a question of age and current economic situation, rather than a cultural one. A protective parent wouldn't be happy about it, while those on a student budget, who have just reached their drinking age would rejoice.

wayneb
11-12-2009, 01:16 PM
That's one of the funniest parts of visiting the US, booze in the gas stations, booze in the supermarkets... nothing wrong with that at all obviously, it's just a bit of culture shock, since ours is only ever in liquour stores.:)

Of course here in the States we have to contend with a patchwork quilt of alcohol related regulations and laws that vary widely from state to state, so you can in some states find that liquor is even more tightly regulated than in the Canadian provinces, and in others alcohol is as widely available as carbonated soft drinks. We're a strange lot!

wildoates
11-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Could be, Smarrikåka. Most of his friends in Oslo (his girlfriend's friends) are twenty-something urbanites from middle-class families, college graduates with professional careers. All have much more disposable income than my student son. They're all used to things being ridiculously expensive--my son, not so much.

My daughter says she's seen this label in her local 7-11. She will try some and report back.

wildoates
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Of course here in the States we have to contend with a patchwork quilt of alcohol related regulations and laws that vary widely from state to state, so you can in some states find that liquor is even more tightly regulated than in the Canadian provinces, and in others alcohol is as widely available as carbonated soft drinks. We're a strange lot!Heck, they vary from county to county in some states.

I was surprised to find liquor only being sold in liquor stores in Ohio when I loved there. In CA you can buy it at church, almost.

/it's a joke! Communion wine notwithstanding, you can't really get booze at church...unless you're in NOLA, then maybe.

wildoates
11-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I lived in Ohio...definitely didn't love there, sorry for the confusion.:o

Displaced Hick
11-12-2009, 01:24 PM
The article also mentioned that this would be available at Denny's, a restaurant known for its point and order menu (you don't have to be sober enough for speech to order your food!)

wayneb
11-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I lived in Ohio...definitely didn't love there, sorry for the confusion.:o

I grew up in Ohio - I wasn't confused for a second! ;)

Medsen Fey
11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
The fact that we have such differences from place to place is one of the things that has always made America great. If you didn't like the state you were in, you could move somewhere that fit you better. As we push to have the federal government regulate everything across the board, in all states, we really lose something of value - diversity.

I had the privilege of growing up in a dry county; Baptist country. What was interesting was that if you went to the county line in any direction - N, S, E, or W - just over the line was a liquor store. And if you stayed at any one of those stores over a Friday/Saturday night, approximately 25% of the county would drop by. About 10-15 years ago, they finally decided to keep all that tax revenue for the county, and it is no longer dry.

I consider this great progress, and it is eco-friendly too - now people don't have to drive so far to get liquor. :rolleyes:

wayneb
11-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Cuts down on DUI related traffic incidents, too! ;D Clearly, there is an overriding societal need for liquor merchants within walking distance of every home in America!!

(Oh, and for any "literalists" out there who aren't familiar with my particular sense of humor, the above was stated with tongue planted firmly in cheek. ;D )

Arcanum
11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
See, I want beer, wine, and liquor delivery. Just call up the store or go online, tell them what you want, give them your credit card info, and they'll deliver a case of beer, two bottles of wine, and a bottle of bourbon right to your door in 30 minutes or less. It would be glorious!

wayneb
11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Now, now. I don't want to encourage anyone to drink to excess... I think you should have to be able to walk (or otherwise motivate yourself) to be able to buy your liquor!

Medsen Fey
11-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Where can I get one of those motorized La-Z-Boys?

AToE
11-12-2009, 02:04 PM
See, I want beer, wine, and liquor delivery. Just call up the store or go online, tell them what you want, give them your credit card info, and they'll deliver a case of beer, two bottles of wine, and a bottle of bourbon right to your door in 30 minutes or less. It would be glorious!

We have that here, called dial-a-bottle, I think it's freelance drivers.

wildoates
11-12-2009, 02:04 PM
You will have to build your own, Medsen, sorry. :)

As I've mentioned before, I come from a fam with a lot of alcoholics, including my maternal grandmother. After my grandfather died she started drinking even more, and nothing we did could stop her. We'd go over to her house, take her out to lunch, then have someone go through the house to find the booze that she had stashed everywhere. We had her driver's license taken away, everything we could think of (she was in her late 50s). We couldn't figure out where she was getting the hooch, until the credit card bills started to come in and my uncle saw these huge charges--like $800 in one month in 1970--to a liquor store nearby. It turns out she was ordering the booze over the phone and tipping the shop very heavily for delivering it to her house.

Never try to keep a very smart woman from her likker because she'll outfox you every time.

Fortunately my uncle got her into rehab and she spent the last 20 or so years of her life sober, but I still chuckle at her ingenuity, God love her.

Kee
11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
...Clearly, there is an overriding societal need for liquor merchants within walking distance of every home in America!!...

One more reason to homebrew! Not so far to walk. (Also tongue in cheek.)

Kee
11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Too funny, Wildoats. She was definately thinking outside the box.

My grandparents were also alcoholics around the same time (late 70s/early 80s). They were so bad about leaving partially filled glasses around that the cat became an alcoholic. They managed to stop drinking a few years later, but that damn cat wasn't happy about sobbering up. He was the meanest dry drunk you ever did see!

akueck
11-12-2009, 05:13 PM
2 buck Chuck can be alright, actually. Personally I won't touch the whites (they always seem to be fundamentally flawed), but the reds can be good. The quality varies widely on a bottle-to-bottle basis, so it's best to buy a case and figure you'll get 5 good bottles. $24 for 5 bottles is still a darn cheap wine. We even forgot about a bottle for a year (we think, they're not dated) and decided to try it. It had improved!

Considering how overpriced some wines are, it's really nice to see that you can find cheap wine. Now if we can just converge "cheap" and "good", we'll be set!

Oskaar
11-13-2009, 04:25 AM
Hell,

I bought 4 cases of $4.99 Primitivo from Italy a year or so back, and still have about two cases worth. It's a damned fine wine at twice that price. I pour it into a decanter and it magically becomes a $20 dollar bottle of wine. You should see people's faces when I tell them how much I paid! Shock and awe describes it pretty well.

I lived in Texas where every other county is dry so I'm used to having different regulations about every ten miles or so. But, if you drive to Louisiana (Shreveport) they have drive through Daquiri and Margarita stands within a block of the border. Damn I love that City. River Boat gambling, dog and horse racing, drive through booze and strip clubs everywhere! Just my kind of place.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Smarrikåka
11-13-2009, 08:57 AM
(Oh, and for any "literalists" out there who aren't familiar with my particular sense of humor, the above was stated with tongue planted firmly in cheek. ;D )

Ah, but a literalist would wonder how it's even possible to state something that comprehensive with your tongue in your cheek. (Also, quite ironically, stated with tongue in cheek.)

My deepest apologies for the meaningless post.

Kee
11-13-2009, 11:03 AM
...Damn I love that City. River Boat gambling, dog and horse racing, drive through booze and strip clubs everywhere! Just my kind of place...

The only thing that scares me, Oskaar, is the drive through strip club. I don't even want to know how that works.

wildoates
11-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Hell,

I bought 4 cases of $4.99 Primitivo from Italy a year or so back, and still have about two cases worth. It's a damned fine wine at twice that price. I pour it into a decanter and it magically becomes a $20 dollar bottle of wine. You should see people's faces when I tell them how much I paid! Shock and awe describes it pretty well.

I lived in Texas where every other county is dry so I'm used to having different regulations about every ten miles or so. But, if you drive to Louisiana (Shreveport) they have drive through Daquiri and Margarita stands within a block of the border. Damn I love that City. River Boat gambling, dog and horse racing, drive through booze and strip clubs everywhere! Just my kind of place.

Cheers,

OskaarAh, but there's a difference between "amazing bargain" and "cheap." :P

BevMo has the same wine as my local grocery does, but they're usually cheaper by the bottle at BevMo, and you can often get them on the 5cent sale, which makes them even more a bargain. I like it when I go in there and get a clerk who's a real wine enthusiast and can tell me about the minutiae of the wine before I choose. You won't get that at 7-11, methinks, and I can't drag Pete everywhere with me.

akueck
11-13-2009, 11:55 AM
The only thing that scares me, Oskaar, is the drive through strip club. I don't even want to know how that works.

A local radio station is setting one up for a food donation promo: "Cans for Cans". It's during morning commute next Friday, bring 10 cans of food and you get to roll through the "Hooter Hut". LMAO!

akueck
11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
... and I can't drag Pete everywhere with me.

Three words:

Red
Hair
Dye

;)

Medsen Fey
11-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Why I'll have you know there is a guy who's always sitting right outside my 7-11 who seems to be quite a wine aficionado. I'm sure he can tell me what's good. ;D

storm1969
11-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Why I'll have you know there is a guy who's always sitting right outside my 7-11 who seems to be quite a wine aficionado. I'm sure he can tell me what's good. ;D

Cherry flavor, most like...