• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

There's just something inherently wrong with this...

Barrel Char Wood Products

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
Makes me wonder what the mark up on some wines is. Hmmmm.. Wine or lottery tickets.....decisions decisions...

Arcanum

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Hey, I'd at least try it! I mean, Trader Joe's has 2-buck chuck that is apparently decent. Hopefully it goes well with a hot dog slathered in chili and cheese.

It's probably depressingly low alcohol, though, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it in 7-11 in many places.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Yeah, I don't have any objections to inexpensive wine, but it does make me laugh to think that, beyond just selling wine in their shops, they now have their own label. It's kind of like the Dollar Tree having their private label.
:eek:

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Too funny! Walmart has a 750ml wine that's less than $2. Actually, they have a couple in that price range. I can't imagine the quality, mark up, or care for a $2 wine. I don't think its a private label though.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
That's one of the funniest parts of visiting the US, booze in the gas stations, booze in the supermarkets... nothing wrong with that at all obviously, it's just a bit of culture shock, since ours is only ever in liquour stores.:)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I just got e-mail from my son who said that Norwegians would WELCOME 12 kroner wine available at 7-11--which there is evidently one of downstairs from his apartment. :eek:

Another cherished illusion of European sophistication rudely shattered. :mad:

Smarrikåka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
www.mjodhamnen.se
I just got e-mail from my son who said that Norwegians would WELCOME 12 kroner wine available at 7-11--which there is evidently one of downstairs from his apartment. :eek:

Another cherished illusion of European sophistication rudely shattered. :mad:

I'd say this is much more a question of age and current economic situation, rather than a cultural one. A protective parent wouldn't be happy about it, while those on a student budget, who have just reached their drinking age would rejoice.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
That's one of the funniest parts of visiting the US, booze in the gas stations, booze in the supermarkets... nothing wrong with that at all obviously, it's just a bit of culture shock, since ours is only ever in liquour stores.:)

Of course here in the States we have to contend with a patchwork quilt of alcohol related regulations and laws that vary widely from state to state, so you can in some states find that liquor is even more tightly regulated than in the Canadian provinces, and in others alcohol is as widely available as carbonated soft drinks. We're a strange lot!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Could be, Smarrikåka. Most of his friends in Oslo (his girlfriend's friends) are twenty-something urbanites from middle-class families, college graduates with professional careers. All have much more disposable income than my student son. They're all used to things being ridiculously expensive--my son, not so much.

My daughter says she's seen this label in her local 7-11. She will try some and report back.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Of course here in the States we have to contend with a patchwork quilt of alcohol related regulations and laws that vary widely from state to state, so you can in some states find that liquor is even more tightly regulated than in the Canadian provinces, and in others alcohol is as widely available as carbonated soft drinks. We're a strange lot!
Heck, they vary from county to county in some states.

I was surprised to find liquor only being sold in liquor stores in Ohio when I loved there. In CA you can buy it at church, almost.

/it's a joke! Communion wine notwithstanding, you can't really get booze at church...unless you're in NOLA, then maybe.

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
The article also mentioned that this would be available at Denny's, a restaurant known for its point and order menu (you don't have to be sober enough for speech to order your food!)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
The fact that we have such differences from place to place is one of the things that has always made America great. If you didn't like the state you were in, you could move somewhere that fit you better. As we push to have the federal government regulate everything across the board, in all states, we really lose something of value - diversity.

I had the privilege of growing up in a dry county; Baptist country. What was interesting was that if you went to the county line in any direction - N, S, E, or W - just over the line was a liquor store. And if you stayed at any one of those stores over a Friday/Saturday night, approximately 25% of the county would drop by. About 10-15 years ago, they finally decided to keep all that tax revenue for the county, and it is no longer dry.

I consider this great progress, and it is eco-friendly too - now people don't have to drive so far to get liquor. :rolleyes:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Cuts down on DUI related traffic incidents, too! ;D Clearly, there is an overriding societal need for liquor merchants within walking distance of every home in America!!

(Oh, and for any "literalists" out there who aren't familiar with my particular sense of humor, the above was stated with tongue planted firmly in cheek. ;D )

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns