PDA

View Full Version : Oddity...

Fisher kel Tath
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
So I have 2 batches of JAO going, week apart in their preparation, and the only difference between the two is one has organic raisins, the other has normal raisins.

Yet the two are completely different colors, the older batch is the color of maple syrup while the younger batch is color of honey.

Seriously wondering here if this is a problem here....

Dan McFeeley
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
It may not be the raisins -- it's possible that if both batches had been started at the same time, the color difference between the two would be less noticable. As it is, you've got an older batch which is a tad less dense than the second batch, which could affect the color.

Regardless of whether it's the raisins (what brand are they?) or the fermentation time difference, or a combination of both, it's not likely you have anything to worry about.

Medsen Fey
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Even if you make side by side batches as close to identical as possible, due to individual variations they may ferment at slightly different rates and end at slightly different gravities (although they should be close unless one happens to stick).

Certainly the color of a batch will darken as the yeast start to clear and drop out of suspension and the cloudiness dissipates. The older of the batches would be expected to have a darker color.

If you followed the recipe properly, just sit them aside and wait for them to finish. Compare them when they are both done and clear.

Good mazing,
Medsen

AToE
11-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Exact same honey? I've seen jars of the "same" honey in stores with a totally different shade to each jar. If not that, then I have no clue!

Fisher kel Tath
11-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Exact same honey? I've seen jars of the "same" honey in stores with a totally different shade to each jar. If not that, then I have no clue!

Yea, 3lbs each from a 6lb bottle and half of a 1lb bottle.

Batch one reached 6weeks this week, batch two reach 5 weeks...

hopefully they finish in the listed 8 weeks...

DaleP
11-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Could be the raisins, the non-organic ones could be sulphered (or otherwise treated) to preserve color, while the organic ones are most likely not. While you might not notice this looking, the untreated will be of different color due to oxidation of the fruit.

Fisher kel Tath
11-15-2009, 03:09 AM
normal ones, are sunmaid, the other ones, i don't know...all i know is i ate the rest of them after putting them in the mead, and saw them again the next day...

+whistles+

Had a holy crap moment looking at my mead tonight, the dark one has began to clear, it's not clear yet, but it's nothing like it was....

akueck
11-15-2009, 03:35 AM
I believe the Sunmaid raisins are not sulfured.

Oskaar
11-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Trader Joes has unsulfured raisins as well.

Fisher kel Tath
11-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Trader Joes has unsulfured raisins as well.

Raisin's aren't good enough of a reason to drive across state to Detroit...

;p

Fisher kel Tath
11-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Dark one is stronger alcohol, Light one is sweeter and actually has orange notes to it that are completely missing.

I'd be able to say the gravity of them, except the hydrometer broke testing the lighter one...