• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A few questions from a Newbie.

Barrel Char Wood Products

ScottyDaug

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2009
Hi,

I have just started my first batch of mead this morning. I'm doing a one gallon batch of traditional mead. I have water, tannin, acid blend, 1 TSP nutrient, 1 crushed campden tab, and 3#'s of McClure's Wildflower Honey sitting in my plastic primary with a cover and airlock waiting for the yeast to be pitched. The SG is 1.11. I am shooting for a dry mead. I am going to be using Wyeast 4632 Dry Mead yeast which will handle up to 18%. If my calculations are correct the mead should finish around 15%, if it goes to dry. My questions are: The yeast packet/activator says it will do up to 5 gallons, if I use the whole pack on 1 gallon, will this harm anything? Is 1 tsp of nutrient enough? I would be very appreciative of any input. If there is anything I missed let me know. Thanks in advance. :)

ScottyDaug

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
A whole pack of yeast is fine for a 1gal, I do it all the time. In fact, it'll help it take off quickly.

I don't know about exact amounts for nutrient, because I don't know what your nutrient is, but you'll probably need a good amount (maybe 1 tsp, maybe less maybe more, someone else will help you with that one!) because you added acid blend before fermentation, which is the very first thing everyone will tell you is not so good, and will cause greif for your yeast. How much acid did you add? You might be fine with such big pitch of a high ABV yeast and giving it lots of nutrients, but knowing the acid amount you added will help people here troubleshoot it for you if you end up with issues.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hi, scottydaug! Welcome to the "Gotmead" community!! If you haven't done so already, let me recommend that you read the newbee guide (a link can be found on the left side of this page). Even if you are a seasoned brewer but are new to mead, there is a lot of useful information in those pages that you'll probably find helpful.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns