PDA

View Full Version : Quick yeast question (71b 1122)

GeorgiaMead
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM
used the lalvin 71b 1122 yeast in this latest batch. first time using it. i notice a 1/4 - 1/2 inch sediment deposit already (3 days in) pulling a gravity when i get home, should i rack it then also?

recipe

-12.5 lbs raw clover honey
lalvin 71b 1122 yeast (1pkt)
fermax during hydration

-this stuff (http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WYEAST_WINE_YEAST_NUTRIENT_1_5_P1336C69.cfm) on day 3 after yeast start was confirmed.

to be honest this was the quickest start ever for me. (2.5 hours to surface bubbles) normally i would just blame that on oxygen settling but it never stopped. this thing is roaring.

i know some yeasts need to be racked off the lees asap anyone with experience here?

Medsen Fey
11-13-2009, 03:08 PM
You are right that it is good to rack off the sediment for some yeast -71B in particular. Still, to get off flavors from autolysis the yeast will have to be sitting there for several weeks. I think you should continue to swirl or stir the must to keep the active yeast up in suspension, and check your gravity. When you see it is done, then rack.

After that, I'd rack when it accumulates a thick layer of yeast - that would typically be in 3-4 weeks. From then on I'd rack every 2-3 months until there is no sediment dropping.

That approach works for me.

Medsen

GeorgiaMead
11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
this yeast, if it performs like it smells. omg. this is my only batch right now. on day 2 it was still brown, day 3 it was orange, today (day 4) it is yellow and boiling. i keep it in the front room so i can protect it from the ferocious cat that lives with me. and the whole place smells of flowering stuffs

wildaho
11-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Take gravity readings daily. They'll be a much better indicator than color or bubbles. When your gravity readings stabilize, you'll know if you are done and should rack or that you have a problem. A hydrometer is your best friend!

GeorgiaMead
11-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Take gravity readings daily. They'll be a much better indicator than color or bubbles. When your gravity readings stabilize, you'll know if you are done and should rack or that you have a problem. A hydrometer is your best friend!

i do, just read somewhere that the must shouldnt lay on lees for long. but it didnt specify how long. dont wanna have to rack every 3 days.

wildaho
11-17-2009, 03:59 PM
i do, just read somewhere that the must shouldnt lay on lees for long. but it didnt specify how long. dont wanna have to rack every 3 days.
You should be fine on the lees with this yeast up to 4-6 weeks before racking. Fortunately, with the fermentation management techniques you read about here, it's pretty rare that a ferment will take that long!

:cheers:
Wade