PDA

View Full Version : Racking setup - equipment question for 1 gal carboys

JennaSaisPas
11-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi all!

I watched this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnGoTs6Wn98

The problem is, the video is pointless, since I don't get to see him start off the siphon. :(

At about :45 into the video, he shows a still photo of a blow-in siphon setup, but my brew shop doesn't have anything like it. I can't use an auto-siphon, since those don't fit 1 gal carboys. Grrrrr...

I was going to then use a carboy cap setup like this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/siphoning-carboy-cap-2910/

BUT, my homebrew store doesn't have carboy caps to fit 1 gal carboys. DOUBLE GRRRRRR!!!

Looking closer at the still shot in the video, the cap he's using almost looks like a universal cap/bung that he's slit a 2nd hole in, but I don't know what to think of that. I suppose slitting an extra hole to insert a blow tube through would be fine, but not sure.

I suppose that I could set up a racking cane through my normal stopper, connect via hose to another carboy through a second stopper, and create a vacuum by throwing a flaming bit of parchment in the 2nd carboy and then stoppering... :eek: (you guys know I'm kidding, right?)

Seriously, though. Thoughts??

AToE
11-13-2009, 07:14 PM
I personally just use a reg racking cane and tube, and I just fill the whole thing with iodophor solution and use that to start the suction (spilling off into the sink), once mead starts coming out the end I jamb my thumb over the end (my hands have been soaked in iodophor anyways I figure) and move it into the new jug/bottle.

Works for me, but someone might come along now and say it's pretty risky for contamination!

Fisher kel Tath
11-13-2009, 08:27 PM
http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/1060

Auto-Siphon Mini about 2/3rds the way down...

Dan McFeeley
11-13-2009, 10:34 PM
An even simpler method is to pay a visit to your local home improvement store, look for vinyl hoses used in refrigerators to make ice cubes and buy a short length, about two or three feet. It should be food grade, but check to be sure.

Then, get a good length of stiff copper wire, wrap it around one end of the hose to straighten it, and you have your one gallon siphon cane. ;D

Sure, there's a risk of contamination using the old fashioned method of sucking on one end to start the siphon process but you should be alright.

BTW -- the old time method of taking a swig of vodka, swish and swallow, doesn't work as a sanitizing method. As soon as you swallow (or spit, whichever method you chose), the salivary glands start pumping, and the mouth is flooded again with lactic acid bacteria where reside there, and everywhere in the mouth.

wildaho
11-14-2009, 05:16 AM
Jenna,

Here is what I do:

Coil your hose in one hand, cane in the off hand, and start running tap water through the open end. When all of the bubbles are gone, stick your sanitized thumb (or whatever digit you prefer) over the open end (kind of like sticking your finger over a straw). Put your cane in your carboy and let loose with your digit. It's best to have a glass or something to catch the initial flow and then switch over to your secondary vessel when you get to the good stuff. The volume of liquid in the tubing will be sufficient to get the flow going. No suction required!

Of course, this pre-supposes that your primary vessel is at least 2 feet higher than your secondary vessel.

There are autosiphons made that DO fit in a gallon jug but if you cant find one, try the above method.

:cheers:
Wade

ZachR
11-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I use several different jugs (gallon and 1/2gal) with different sized openings and my regular sized auto-siphon fits in all of them, though tighter in some than others.

JennaSaisPas
11-14-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/1060

Auto-Siphon Mini about 2/3rds the way down...

You, sir, are a jewel! :D Many thanks!

I can calculate, plan, write, sing, dance, drink, cook, and multitask my little heart out, but siphoning is one little skill I sorely lack. :(

Since I absolutely suck at siphoning, I need some other way than the "fill the tube with other liquid, then let 'er rip" method. I WILL spill, and I WILL lose all the must. I need a 'you'd have to be dead already to mess this up' method.

JennaSaisPas
11-14-2009, 08:07 PM
I use several different jugs (gallon and 1/2gal) with different sized openings and my regular sized auto-siphon fits in all of them, though tighter in some than others.

Hmmmm... I thought that the auto-siphon might fit, but when I went to my brew shop, they were mysteriously out of 1 gal carboys for me to test. Guess the holiday brew mania is hitting... :p

Cargirl
11-15-2009, 12:36 AM
...There are autosiphons made that DO fit in a gallon jug but if you cant find one, try the above method.

:cheers:
Wade

I just got one of the mini-auto siphons! And they're really small compared to regular sized auto-siphons.

I've got a regular sized auto-siphon too. I've never been fully pleased with how it functioned in the one-gallon batches I make but now I've got a mini one to try.

I have something in a half-gallon growler to rack in a couple of days. I'll let y'all know how it performs in that little jug.

AToE
11-15-2009, 04:53 AM
You, sir, are a jewel! :D Many thanks!

I can calculate, plan, write, sing, dance, drink, cook, and multitask my little heart out, but siphoning is one little skill I sorely lack. :(

Since I absolutely suck at siphoning, I need some other way than the "fill the tube with other liquid, then let 'er rip" method. I WILL spill, and I WILL lose all the must. I need a 'you'd have to be dead already to mess this up' method.

Not sure if that pun was intentional, but made me laugh none the less!