PDA

View Full Version : After several years, I'm back!

Fortuna_Wolf
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi guys. I don't know how many people remember me, but I do remember some of you. I used to post here several years ago. Well, I moved, a few times, and school got busy, then I graduated... Then I went back to school and moved across the country. I just picked up my honey and brewing equipment and decided that it was time to start brewing again.

Since its winter and I keep the thermostat set to 70F it should be a good time to start up a nice dry and semisweet.

While I was AWOL I left 2 carboys of mead bulk aging and totally forgot about them. Like, forgot to put a solid bung on them, or glycerine in the airlock forgot. So I ordered some silicone breathable bungs - does anyone have any recommendations about how to use them?

I have a bucket of wildflower, a bucket of blueberry, and a bucket of buckwheat. I have 3 6.5 gallon carboys - 2 of them go to mead and 1 goes to misc other projects like rum. I figure that to get back into it I'd like to do a traditional - how about 2 parts wildflower, 1 part buckwheat, with go-ferm and additives, aeration (stainless steel airstone and filtered pump) for a day, and then the airlock?

WRATHWILDE
11-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Sounds like a plan, and welcome back!!!

You may want to brush up after such a long absence, may I suggest visiting Oskaar in a Nutshell (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10631&highlight=Oskaar+nutshell) as in in depth reminder of general wisdom.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Fortuna_Wolf
11-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey WW, long time no see :)

I think its not so much a matter of brushing up, but that some of the experiments you guys were doing 5 years ago (omg its been that long) have produced results and now procedures are different...

A lot has happened, eh?