PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer, the How to Stabilize

Sabar
11-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I promise this is my last question of the day.

A few days ago I was in another brew shop. Ok, Ok, it was a true value that also sells wine making equipment.

The man there told me every time he racks his wine he puts 1/4 teaspoon of Potassium Metabisulfite first in to a 5 gallon carboy.

I have read many things about Potassium Metabisulfite, and Potassium Sorbate here on the forums. But not much in the way of specifics. Once again like the last post I made tonight. I am sure it is here but my searches haven't found the answers I was looking for.

A few nights ago I added about 1/4 teaspoon Potassium Metabisulfite to a 3 gallon carboy that has been racked (including from primary) three times. then replaced the air lock and watched it bubble pretty good.

What is the proper time and way to use these things? when and how, do I use the Sorbate?

I started what I hope will be an easy to find post for any one looking this up in the future, Some times the basics can be rather confusing.

Sabar???

fatbloke
11-29-2009, 09:39 PM
I promise this is my last question of the day.

A few days ago I was in another brew shop. Ok, Ok, it was a true value that also sells wine making equipment.

The man there told me every time he racks his wine he puts 1/4 teaspoon of Potassium Metabisulfite first in to a 5 gallon carboy.

I have read many things about Potassium Metabisulfite, and Potassium Sorbate here on the forums. But not much in the way of specifics. Once again like the last post I made tonight. I am sure it is here but my searches haven't found the answers I was looking for.

A few nights ago I added about 1/4 teaspoon Potassium Metabisulfite to a 3 gallon carboy that has been racked (including from primary) three times. then replaced the air lock and watched it bubble pretty good.

What is the proper time and way to use these things? when and how, do I use the Sorbate?

I started what I hope will be an easy to find post for any one looking this up in the future, Some times the basics can be rather confusing.

Sabar???
Stabilising, is the use of potassium sorbate or sodium sorbate, when it's racked off the lee's.

It doesn't kill the yeast, it just stops it multiplying.

I can't remember if there's any reason to sulphite first, then sorbate, or the other way round. It just leaves the mead so that if you want to do anything with back sweetening, then you can then (after both sorbate and sulphite) use a fermentable sweetener like honey/sugar/spray malt or whatever without worrying about it restarting to ferment.

Of course, if you want to make something sparkling, then you wouldn't do that.....

regards

fatbloke

akueck
11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Sabar,

I hate to sound like a grump, but your questions can be answered pretty well by looking through the NewBee guide, found on the main site or just click here (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=108&Itemid=14). If you haven't read through it, please do. If you have, give it another read now that you have specific questions and try to home in on the answers there. More details abound on the forums. There might not be a thread titled with your answer, but I assure you the answers are there. If you find threads that are helpful to you, you can post links to them here for easy referencing.