PDA

View Full Version : Is mead easier or harder to make than wine?

keepitlow
11-30-2009, 01:16 PM
And in particular, sweet mead, say on the sweetness level of late harvest wines.

storm1969
11-30-2009, 02:08 PM
It's mostly just different.

I make a good bit of both, Don't really think either is easier or harder.

Medsen Fey
11-30-2009, 02:33 PM
A sweet mead is much easier to produce than a sweet late harvest wine. To get a sweet wine, you have to have grapes that get to the level of sweetness you need, typically through some drying process while hoping the grapes don't rot.

To make a sweet mead, you just need to add enough honey (either at the beginning or at the end).

Of course producing a good, balanced sweet mead that tastes really good, may take a lot more work. ;D

keepitlow
11-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Of course producing a good, balanced sweet mead that tastes really good, may take a lot more work."

So, leaving out the certain ripeness of the grapes for LH wines, would you generally say that mead (good mead) is harder to make?

storm1969
11-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Of course producing a good, balanced sweet mead that tastes really good, may take a lot more work."

So, leaving out the certain ripeness of the grapes for LH wines, would you generally say that mead (good mead) is harder to make?

I wouldn't. Just different. Having tasted as many badly made wines as badly made meads, they are both easy to screw up! Now sweetness in a homebrew can cover up problems, so maybe meads are easier to make than dry wines....

akueck
11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
If you count growing the grapes, I would say wine is harder. Though if you count keeping bees, then maybe it is a tie again. ;D

Both have their individual issues, such as juice extraction/cap management for grape wines and nutrient control for meads. People ask about making beer vs. wine or mead too, and again it's just different. Each one has its own set of parameters which you need to play off each other to produce a balanced, delicious product (or an intentionally unbalanced, yet still delicious product).