PDA

View Full Version : Need a source for honey.

Allen Brown
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Ready to make my second batch of mead. My first batch was a 3 gallon batch of JAO. Turned out great. Want to make more.

If I was going to buy some off the net, do you have a source I should contact?

If my second batch will be JAO, what flavor/type should I use?

If I want to make a more traditional, what flavor/type should I use?

Thanks,

Allen

socpsy
12-01-2009, 04:35 PM
You might use the Honey Locator (http://honeylocator.com/search.asp). You never know when you might find someone in your area and avoid shipping charges that can be fairly high.

AToE
12-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Check out www.beefolks.com - they're member here and have some cool looking honey. Also, www.millershoney.com has some good looking stuff.

Costs a lot to ship to where I am, but being in the US it shouldn't be so bad for you.

I don't have much advice for type of honey for any specific situation, as my experience is limited.

wayneb
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Let me take this opportunity to acquaint you with the wealth of information available on the main GotMead.com website. There is more to GotMead than the forum! ;)

If you check out the main page: www.gotmead.com, you'll find a link to a page of mead supplies references, and on that page you'll find further links to honey suppliers in various parts of the world. US suppliers are listed here: http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_sobi&catid=97&Itemid=34

The list is by no means comprehensive, but these are suppliers that have made it known that they want to sell to meadmakers.

Allen Brown
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks so much for the responses guys.

"Honey Locater" Just what I was looking for. Funny thing is, there is one on there near me "Hunter's Honey Farm (http://www.huntershoneyfarm.com/)". (withing 25 minutes).

They have bulk honey in 2-1/2 gallon buckets (30 pounds) for $67.45. Next time, bring back the bucket, and it's $63.25.

Next question, they have two varieties; Clover or wildflower.

Any thoughts on which one for a good mead?

AToE
12-01-2009, 05:16 PM
There's a situation for almost any honey, pretty hard to rank them by varietal, though you could rank them by whether they're pasteurized, raw, etc.

I use lots of clover, it's a light honey, probably the most common type you'd find in a store. I like it, but it doesn't have a ton of character, it is a very simple tasting honey compared to others.

Wildflower could (literally) be anything. Could be dark like buckwheat honey, could be even whiter than clover honey, and the taste could vary as much as the colour.

If you can taste them before buying I'd recommend doing that, and then just buy whichever strikes you as being more fun to work with.;)

fatbloke
12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
-----%<-----
they have two varieties; Clover or wildflower.
-----%<-----

What the hell, why not try both. With a bucket of each, you can do a side by side test i.e. a batch of each and a third batch with half and half. If you use the same yeast, technique etc you'll be getting a good test to decide which to focus on for other batches.....

regards

fatbloke

Allen Brown
12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
What the hell, why not try both. With a bucket of each, you can do a side by side test i.e. a batch of each and a third batch with half and half. If you use the same yeast, technique etc you'll be getting a good test to decide which to focus on for other batches.....

regards

fatbloke

WOW, I already have 2 6 gallon carboys going with a Merlot and a Shiraz, and have to buy another one for the mead (I did a 3 gallon, and it wasn't enough, so now I have to buy another 6).

I know it doesn't sound like a big inventory to some of you guys, but I have only started my first wine batches right at 2 months ago.

The good news is, I went to a dinner pitch-in tonight, brought 4 bottles of my first mead, opened one for tasting, and sold the other 3 for $12.00/bottle, to use to buy more honey. Those that purchased will get 1 more bottle from the next batch. I told them to consider it a "business investment". They are buying in to the next batch, and for their investment of $12.00, they will in essence, be getting a 100% return on investment (R.O.I.) in a two month period.

How many investments can promise that...HUHHH?:cool:

Medsen Fey
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Unless you have the appropriate Federal and State licenses (and all the tax paperwork that goes with it) selling you mead or wine is illegal and could get you arrested. Posting in public forums announcing such activity is unwise.

Allen Brown
12-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Of course I was joking about the selling part...My buddies just wanted to help me buy some more honey, to get another batch going!