PDA

View Full Version : bottled my first 6 gallon of JAO

dauthiatull
12-02-2009, 02:52 PM
the first batch (1gal) worked too well.
the only mistake was only making 1 gallon. gone in 1 night.

a few weeks later sept 27 started a six gallon just multiplying everything(but yeast) by 6.

filled too high and cloged trap. had to move to sink and slowly release pressure.

cleaned outside of bottle and returned to corrner and installed blowoff tube with hose into a bottle of sanitized water. replaced trap after a few days.

bottled last night and had a few glasses. good stuff.

saw smoother than first batch but a bit too orangy and the spices were muted and it was a bit too sweet.

next batch i will try slightly less honey 1 less orange and 5 to 10% more spice.

need to start the next one soon as all we are having a party on yule and will be serving mead as we honor the holly king.

one more thing.
JOE, WHOEVER YOU ARE, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Dan McFeeley
12-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Congrats on a great batch of JAO! Have you considered aging and then tasting? It still sounds a bit young, about nine months aging is good for a JAO.

--

dauthiatull
12-29-2009, 01:51 PM
nine months? lol
no mead, no matter how green, will ever last nine months here hehe
however all my friends liked it a lot so it could be that im too critical of my own work. im like that about everything i do.

as for that batch, the party was great. WE DRANK THE WHOLE DAM BATCH LOL.

tomorrow is brew day again and im inviting friends over to teach them as well.

working on getting a second fermentor pail and carboy to do 2 batches at a time.
wife and I agree, homemade mead is better than wine from the store and WAY cheaper.

dr9
12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
The oranges might have just been riper, or better quality, or simply larger. The beauty of the simplicity of the recipe is apparent, but one of the drawbacks is there will inevitably be some inconsistency. I would imagine that using less orange in the next batch might have some unanticipated second-hand effects, there will be less acid, what problem will that cause? There will be less overall volume in the batch during fermentation, what issue may arise there? With less surface area on the solids, what chain reactions are taking place on that level that may affect your brew? Perhaps your mead was too orangey because you simply left it sitting there longer, or because it was a bigger batch with more alcohol that sucked in more of the essence.

I wish Alton Brown would do an episode on Mead.

By the way... I'm a noob... just trying to play devil's advocate.