PDA

View Full Version : Topping off with frozen must... stabilize first?

ZachR
12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a 1 gal batch of blackberry mead and a 1 gal batch of cyser that I need to rack off the lees (been 5 weeks), and I was planning on topping off with some leftover must I stuck in the freezer.

Should I add the must and let it re-ferment the new sugars, or should I sorbate/sulfite when I rack and then top it off?

Thanks.

slowbie
12-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Okay, I'm going to take a stab at this one even though I'm new. It depends on what results you want. If you don't stabilize and your yeast can manage the alcohol content, then the new must will get fermented as well taking it dry. Because of the relatively small amount of sugars, this should not be violent enough to cause a mead geyser. If you stabilize first, your mead will be sweeter because the new sugars will not ferment. So really it's a matter of taste. Although if you stabilize I don't think you can restart fermentation if it's too sweet (since the point of stabilizing is to not start fermentation). However, if you don't stabilize and you decide you want it sweeter, you can always backsweeten later.