PDA

View Full Version : Strange floating junk(pics)

Fisher kel Tath
12-13-2009, 05:35 PM
um, went to check my cyser today(brew log here: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15251 ) and it had some weird floating bits in it coming up from the bottom, this is the first time I've looked at it since racking it off the fruit on thursday night, the bottom of the jug looks like it's a think compacted lees.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Rikadyn/DSC_4310.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Rikadyn/DSC_4315.jpg

Should I just rack it again?

capoeirista13
12-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that is just some small fruit chunks covered in yeast. I've had that happen before it's nothing to be concerned about.

Fisher kel Tath
12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that is just some small fruit chunks covered in yeast. I've had that happen before it's nothing to be concerned about.

there shouldn't be any fruit in the fermentor though, I racked off the fruit already >.>;

capoeirista13
12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah but it can just be yeast clumps or small pieces of fruit that came off of the fruit you used.

Medsen Fey
12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
It certainly looks like some apple chunks. Did you suck some in while racking?

If it smells and tastes okay, I wouldn't worry - just give it time.

Fisher kel Tath
12-13-2009, 11:02 PM
It certainly looks like some apple chunks. Did you suck some in while racking?

If it smells and tastes okay, I wouldn't worry - just give it time.

not possible, used my auto siphon with the sediment cap on

wayneb
12-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I've pulled pieces that size through my auto siphon, with the cap on, in the past. If you're really concerned you can rack again, but I'd be inclined to simply watch it for a few days, and if the chunks don't appear to be growing (or if they all sink to the bottom) and if there are no funky odors from the carboy, I think you're in the clear.

Fisher kel Tath
12-14-2009, 02:29 AM
Really? well I sanitized and cubed the apple into like 1/4 inch squares. I still pulled the sample and tasted it, tasted fine, smelled fine.

wayneb
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Really? well I sanitized and cubed the apple into like 1/4 inch squares. I still pulled the sample and tasted it, tasted fine, smelled fine.

I'm guessing then that it is small apple bits. They do soften up (and break up) significantly during primary fermentation, leaving you with stuff that can easily make it past that bottom cap on the siphon.

Fisher kel Tath
12-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm guessing then that it is small apple bits. They do soften up (and break up) significantly during primary fermentation, leaving you with stuff that can easily make it past that bottom cap on the siphon.

Well, they weren't in the primary, I racked from the primary onto the apple bits in the secondary, and they were only in there for 48hrs as sampling at that time had the flavor where I wanted it, so techinically this is the Tertiary fermentor >.>(what comes after tertiary?)

Medsen Fey
12-14-2009, 04:52 PM
what comes after tertiary?)

Quaternary.

So it looks like apple bits in your secondary made it through the racking. Since it smells and tastes okay, you should be okay to let it sit and clear.

Fisher kel Tath
12-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Whatever it is, it multiplied...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Rikadyn/DSC_4318.jpg

racked it, some bits I think transfered still, so dunno what to do about this batch at this point...

Medsen Fey
12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
How does it smell and taste now? What is the current gravity?

wayneb
12-15-2009, 02:51 PM
And as important as your sensory perception of the liquid, how does this "scum" in the carboy that you racked from, smell? Also, is the same strange gunk growing in your mason jar? Did you put apple bits into the mason jar, or just into the carboy?

If the mead doesn't smell or taste bad and if you want to keep it, I'd dose it with metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, let it stabilize, and rack one more time. Then bottle it once it has cleared.

Fisher kel Tath
12-15-2009, 02:52 PM
How does it smell and taste now? What is the current gravity?

smell is, well of fermenting alcohol, can't really describe it past that, taste is a bit sour, and alcoholic, sour is probally from the apples...but I dunno...

Gravity is just below 1.020

wayneb
12-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Does it smell at all of vinegar? Or is the sour aspect a taste-only thing?

Fisher kel Tath
12-15-2009, 02:56 PM
And as important as your sensory perception of the liquid, how does this "scum" in the carboy that you racked from, smell? Also, is the same strange gunk growing in your mason jar? Did you put apple bits into the mason jar, or just into the carboy?

If the mead doesn't smell or taste bad and if you want to keep it, I'd dose it with metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, let it stabilize, and rack one more time. Then bottle it once it has cleared.

Just smelled like fermenting alcohol, no gunk in the mason jar, but the mason jar was left as just must, however the mason jar does have a thick yeast layer on the bottom, would it be good idea to cold crash it? cause I've kept the mason jar in the fridge since drawing it off

Sour is a taste aspect I think, it smells like fermenting alcohol and something else, which i think is apples, if i could remember what vingear smelled like prolly be helpful here, but if i'm going to keep this i'm gonna need to go buy some apple juice to top off with...

Medsen Fey
12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Chilling it down will slow down the growth of anything that may be in there and is probably a good idea. I'd give it an extra heavy dose of sulfite as Wayne suggests.

Fisher kel Tath
12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Chilling it down will slow down the growth of anything that may be in there and is probably a good idea. I'd give it an extra heavy dose of sulfite as Wayne suggests.

yea, i'm waiting for my chems to arrive, they should be here tomorrow, wish I had known I needed more sanitizer when I ordered them too...

alright, moved it outside to the garage :P

Fisher kel Tath
12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
put on chems today, smells strongly of apples and cinnamon, nothing that seems off.

Probally just have to consider this as a sweet mead as fermentation has been interrupted and topping off added more sugar :/

Fisher kel Tath
12-20-2009, 10:52 AM
So, it had cleared, and I racked off, and if fogged back up...

The Hell...If I sucked up some of the lees after sorbate/sulfiting do i need to worry about it restarting the fermentation?

Also could the problem that started this thread have been the whole lees just floating up from the top in one giant cake? I worried cause it had white looking edges too it, but not sure if those were bad or not...

Medsen Fey
12-21-2009, 10:57 AM
If it clouded up again it could be fermenting further. Is the gravity changing?

Fisher kel Tath
12-21-2009, 11:46 AM
no, it happened as it was being racked, this morning it was clear again, prolly just stirred up the sediment a little racking it...

MrMooCow
12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
That looks like sediment from the apple juice. If you used a good quality organically type of apple juice, you'll get plenty of that stuff in the mead. I've been mucking around with a cyser for the last year, and I've seen plenty of that.

So, either there's nothing to worry about, or my Christmas presents to my co-workers will kill them. ;D

- Brett