• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Strange floating junk(pics)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
um, went to check my cyser today(brew log here: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15251 ) and it had some weird floating bits in it coming up from the bottom, this is the first time I've looked at it since racking it off the fruit on thursday night, the bottom of the jug looks like it's a think compacted lees.

DSC_4310.jpg

DSC_4315.jpg

Should I just rack it again?

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm pretty sure that is just some small fruit chunks covered in yeast. I've had that happen before it's nothing to be concerned about.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I've pulled pieces that size through my auto siphon, with the cap on, in the past. If you're really concerned you can rack again, but I'd be inclined to simply watch it for a few days, and if the chunks don't appear to be growing (or if they all sink to the bottom) and if there are no funky odors from the carboy, I think you're in the clear.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Really? well I sanitized and cubed the apple into like 1/4 inch squares. I still pulled the sample and tasted it, tasted fine, smelled fine.

I'm guessing then that it is small apple bits. They do soften up (and break up) significantly during primary fermentation, leaving you with stuff that can easily make it past that bottom cap on the siphon.

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
I'm guessing then that it is small apple bits. They do soften up (and break up) significantly during primary fermentation, leaving you with stuff that can easily make it past that bottom cap on the siphon.

Well, they weren't in the primary, I racked from the primary onto the apple bits in the secondary, and they were only in there for 48hrs as sampling at that time had the flavor where I wanted it, so techinically this is the Tertiary fermentor >.>(what comes after tertiary?)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
And as important as your sensory perception of the liquid, how does this "scum" in the carboy that you racked from, smell? Also, is the same strange gunk growing in your mason jar? Did you put apple bits into the mason jar, or just into the carboy?

If the mead doesn't smell or taste bad and if you want to keep it, I'd dose it with metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, let it stabilize, and rack one more time. Then bottle it once it has cleared.

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
And as important as your sensory perception of the liquid, how does this "scum" in the carboy that you racked from, smell? Also, is the same strange gunk growing in your mason jar? Did you put apple bits into the mason jar, or just into the carboy?

If the mead doesn't smell or taste bad and if you want to keep it, I'd dose it with metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, let it stabilize, and rack one more time. Then bottle it once it has cleared.

Just smelled like fermenting alcohol, no gunk in the mason jar, but the mason jar was left as just must, however the mason jar does have a thick yeast layer on the bottom, would it be good idea to cold crash it? cause I've kept the mason jar in the fridge since drawing it off

Sour is a taste aspect I think, it smells like fermenting alcohol and something else, which i think is apples, if i could remember what vingear smelled like prolly be helpful here, but if i'm going to keep this i'm gonna need to go buy some apple juice to top off with...

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
Chilling it down will slow down the growth of anything that may be in there and is probably a good idea. I'd give it an extra heavy dose of sulfite as Wayne suggests.

yea, i'm waiting for my chems to arrive, they should be here tomorrow, wish I had known I needed more sanitizer when I ordered them too...

alright, moved it outside to the garage :p

Last edited:

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
put on chems today, smells strongly of apples and cinnamon, nothing that seems off.

Probally just have to consider this as a sweet mead as fermentation has been interrupted and topping off added more sugar :/

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns