PDA

View Full Version : Brewing Newbie

Laura_j32
12-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I know this will be hard to believe, but I don't have any questions yet. I found this forum while trying to figure out how to make mead for my hubby. We've been buying Sweet Mead from White Winter Winery (Iron Horse, Wisc.).
This is my first post, to kind of introduce myself. I've been reading and reading and then reading some more. There is a lot of great info here that has led me to other bits of info, and some books, too!
And, since there was so much good info ... I started with a batch of JAO (11/11/09) and it's hiding out in a nice warm dark closet. I followed the directions just as written. It is so hard to be patient. It's due to come out for a peak 12/23.
Inspired, I also made up 3 750ml bottles of Apple Pie and on 11/15, 3.5 liters of hard cider, then 11/23 a batch of Simha. All good learning experiences. The Apple Pie is still in hiding for New Year's Eve. The hard cider turned out excellent and I can't wait to make more.
Last Friday, my box arrived from the supply company with my hydrometer, yeasts and other supplies. I was so excited I put together another mead with buckwheat honey and Red Star Champagne yeast, I cannot wait to see the difference in flavor the yeast makes. I will add the recipe later as both my log and my sketchbook are at home. I did not use the hydrometer on this batch as I am still figuring it out.

wayneb
12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Welcome to "Gotmead," Laura!! Glad that you've found us, and when you do have any questions about your batches in progress, we'll be happy to help!!

shmoab
12-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Very interesting. I also started a batch of JAO on 11/11/09.
What do you mean by coming out for a peak on 12/23? Is your fruit sinking to the bottom already? Because mine isn't.

Laura_j32
12-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Very interesting. I also started a batch of JAO on 11/11/09.
What do you mean by coming out for a peak on 12/23? Is your fruit sinking to the bottom already? Because mine isn't.

I've got a 100+ yr. old house, and my closet goes under the entire length of stairs to the second floor, so it's really really long! And dark. So in order to check on it, I've got to pull it out where I can see it, lol. Usually, we pull it forward, take a peak and put it back. Just making sure everything is going ok.

I just put a bottle of No Age Sweet Mead in there to share the space. While I've got a nice large kitchen, I've got only the tiniest of cabinet spaces. So no cabinets for mead storage. But I've this nice, long warm closet, so it seemed perfect.

I figure, I will start a batch of something every pay period. Eventually, I will have a regular supply (that is, if I turn out to be any good at brewing;D).

shmoab
01-09-2010, 03:42 AM
How is your JAO coming along?

Laura_j32
01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
JAO Update. One cleared a beautiful golden color, and the second one didn't clear for another whole week. I back-sweetened (honey/water) each, added campden and sorbate, then bottled. The first was considerably more bitter than the second (sweeter). I bottled three 750ml bottles from each batch. These are in my basement wine storage area for aging. I think we'll check them sometime in Feb. and see if there's any improvement (crossing my fingers!). I think I would consider trying this again with a few changes.
I just racked the No Age Sweet Mead to a clean bottle and am just waiting for that one to clear. Talk about sweet! And gorgeous color. I'll have to get some pictures.
I just put a batch of Caramel Mead together last weekend. Thank goodness next Friday is payday ... I'm out of honey!!
My hubby and I prefer dessert wines and ports, so most of my trials will be aimed towards sweet, non-bubbly meads. So much honey, so little time!

Laura