• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cork Soaker

Barrel Char Wood Products

KevinJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 9, 2009
Ok I am ready to cork my mead. What do I need to do to prepare the corks? Do I need to soak then in no rinse (if so how long)? Do I boil them? Do I do nothing to them?

Thanks
Kevin

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
There are several schools of thought regarding cork treatments. Many folks say that they are fine to use dry (with a floor or bench corker - with a hand corker they are too hard to compress when dry), while others say a long soak in a metabisulfite or no-rinse sanitizer is what they prefer. I tend these days to simply rinse my corks with a metabisulfite solution (about 5 mins total exposure time to the liquid), and go. I used to soak them longer, but I've found that they really don't benefit from absorption of much liquid - my floor corker can handle them with just a quick rinse.

Don't drop them in boiling water, since heat accelerates the breakdown of cork cell walls and will actually prematurely age them.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
In my vast (VAST I tell you*) corking experience, I just tossed the corks in a sulfite solution shortly before corking and went from there.

* two batches is vast, right?.

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
with a hand corker they are too hard to compress

Now I'm wondering just what sort of corker it is that I have. Two arms attached to a pin that rams the cork through a slightly smaller than cork-size opening in the device, into the bottle. It's not attached (nor is it capable of being attached) to the floor or a bench. I can only assume it's a hand corker.

I read the quoted statement to mean that I've been doing this the hard way...

/flex

Oh, hi! I've been lurking for a few weeks now, reading and learning. More about me later.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
More like my first two batches started out with 5 gallons, but only ended up with 3. I didn't take into consideration racking loss. :)

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
If you are using all natural corks, I think you have to soak them in warm water (about 150 degrees) for a half hour. If you're using the partially synthetic, or fully synthetic corks, you just need to dip them in a mot meta solution.

Do not boil corks, as they can crack and split.

Phil

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you are using all natural corks, I think you have to soak them in warm water (about 150 degrees) for a half hour.

The folks I have spoken with at cork manufacturers including Corktec say prolonged soaking in hot water is not recommended. Most of the corks have a thin coating of paraffin (or something similar) to help make the cork insertion easier. Hot soaking may remove that thin film and may possible lead to shorter cork life. If corks are stored properly, they should not need soaking. I usually do a quick rinse in a sulfite solution, though I don't think it is really necessary - it just makes me feel better. :)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I just use a spray bottle with K-Meta and spray the corks before I cork the bottle.

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
The folks I have spoken with at cork manufacturers including Corktec say prolonged soaking in hot water is not recommended. Most of the corks have a thin coating of paraffin (or something similar) to help make the cork insertion easier. Hot soaking may remove that thin film and may possible lead to shorter cork life. If corks are stored properly, they should not need soaking. I usually do a quick rinse in a sulfite solution, though I don't think it is really necessary - it just makes me feel better. :)

Don't you have to sanitize the inside of natural corks?

No soak corks are non-porous (or something like that), which is why you only have to dip them in the sanitizer.

Phil

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Don't you have to sanitize the inside of natural corks?

No soak corks are non-porous (or something like that), which is why you only have to dip them in the sanitizer.

Phil

Generally not. The corks when shipped from the manufacturer have been sanitized and coated with an inert parafin. They're fine to insert even without additional sanitization.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns