PDA

View Full Version : premier cuvee

Jonathan Paul Gordon
12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Why don't mead makers ever use cuvee? I have about five pounds of this, and I'd hate to see it all go to waste.

AToE
12-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I've heard of people using it, where'd you hear they don't?

Medsen Fey
12-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Folks do use Premier Cuvee (Red star's correct?). Premier Cuvee is essentially just another brand of the same strain as Lallemand EC-1118; just a different company making it. Folks here are partial to Lallemand strains because they are reliable, and because the company makes a lot of information available to understand their products including some of the best customer service I've ever seen from the Gurus and marketing staff. I don't think I've ever asked them a question not to have a detailed response within about 24 hours. I find that incredible, and it has made me a loyal customer.

Premier cuvee is a pefectly good yeast.

I'm curious. How did you wind up with 5 pounds of it?

Medsen

Jonathan Paul Gordon
12-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I visited a friend's winery over the weekend, and he gave me his excess yeast.

Medsen Fey
12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Well if you keep it stored in the fridge or freezer, the active dry yeast can survive for a long time (at least a couple of years - maybe more). Even then, they may be boiled to created home-made yeast hulls/extract which can be used as nutrient so you should be able to make use of all 5 pounds of it over time.

Or you could make a really big batch. ;D

wildoates
12-15-2009, 06:36 PM
That's a BIG batch. :)

jthompson706
12-16-2009, 09:15 AM
I've used Premier cuvee and had pretty good success with it.

Oskaar
12-17-2009, 06:18 PM
PC is a great yeast, it's used widely in California for both White and Red wine fermentations as well as sparkling wine. You should have no problem, just keep an eye on it and if it starts to smell sulfury or slow down give it some fermaid-K or yeast hulls.

Cheers,

Oskaar