PDA

View Full Version : Help needed Blueberry Melomel Problem

SharonM
12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I started a batch of Blueberry Melomel on 12/5/09. I used a recipe i found here
Bluberry Dusk.
12lb clover honey
12.5lbs bluberries crushed(I had a little extra so tossed them in)
4 tsp Fermax
1.5 tsp Bentonite
5 tsp yeast energizer
1/4tsp pectic enzyme
20 g D-47 yeast

sp 1.090 the yeast activity was pretty normal
but when I racked to the secondary and removed the blueberries today, the gravity was 1000. thats zero alcohol righr?

It does not smell "bad or spoiled" nothing growing, and there were still some bubbles. It smells like my other batches "fermented". tastes like vinegar. No sweetness.

was this too much yeast? or yeast energizer?
Can it be saved?

This is my 4th batch.. first one that is not good.
Thanks
sharon

AToE
12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Not zero alcohol, near zero sugar though. With an SG of 1.090 almost every single wine yeast out there will eat all the sugar and end up dry. You may end up loving it dry rather than sweet, that's how I like my blueberry melomels, but depending on it's age it might just be going through a rough patch. I'd personally leave it and taste it in around 2 months from now - if you still hate it then maybe search this forum for backsweetening tips and try that.

dr9
12-16-2009, 10:05 PM
The lower gravity-reading means there is alcohol because it's less dense than when you started; alcohol is less dense than sugar water.

SharonM
12-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Ok. deep breath here. I am ok with dry. that would be alright. The color of this batch is just absolutely deep purple/blue. which would make me cry if we had to pour it away. After racking to the secondary a few hours ago it is starting to foam/bubble at the top and getting bubbles through the air lock. I will put it away and wait. Thanks!

AToE
12-17-2009, 03:08 AM
I love dry blueberry mead, I think it's by far the best I've made so far. That acidic sharp taste is something I get all the time when my meads are that age too, which is why I don't even bother tasting them until they're cleared now, unless I'm trying to diagnose a problem or something.

Hope it turns out great!