• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

other beeks?

Barrel Char Wood Products

bailey beekeeper

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2009
just a quick question.

are there other beekeepers here on this forum?
seems logical to have at least a few.
bailey.

A

andrewschwab

me me me me
Sitting on buckets of honey is what got me to making mead. That and my love for booze ;D
Third generation beekeeper, although my beekeeping is a hobby that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of control.

slowbie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
West Michigan
There's a forum about beekeeping here in case you haven't seen it. It's hidden inside The Hive, so it took me a couple of weeks before I came across it.

I'm not a beekeeper myself, but maybe someday...

RyanB

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Oregon
Hiya Andrew!

I currently have 5 hives. Started beekeeping this year and it was Andrew's class on meadmaking that got me into making mead.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Excellent!

Another bee-keeper is a great thing! Welcome to Got Mead? and I hope that you find all you need to make great mead!

Cheers,

Oskaar

bailey beekeeper

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2009
thank you all for the great reception here, my beekeeping and mead making are both the results of a swarm choosing a gourd intended for purple martin nesting in my back yard. i hived them and the insanity of bee keeping began!
( the beeks will know what i am talking about!)

we have a very good balance of floral sources in my area and our local honey is very good in the spring. ( light clover type honey )

our fall honey is quite dark and we do have alot of goldenrod here which most people say they dont like.
we also have alot of other blooming plants at the same time goldenrod is in bloom that the bees add into the mix with a resulting dark fall honey with a very distinct flavor that is quite good.
i prefer my fall honey for eating plain,cooking, in my coffee and of course my mead making!

my last 2 batches were made from my darker fall honey with results that i thought were great.
i believe the subtle smells and tastes that i got were a result of the complexity of the honey used.
both were aged about 1 year. ( not enough to age longer cause it tasted too good.)

i have now gotten more carboys and started to study the forums here so i am hoping to be able to produce fast enough to allow for 2 years or more age times on a few bottles to see what it can really become!

bailey

TXBeowulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
My wife and I are looking forward to our first year coming up. We are going to start with 2 hives, starting with packaged bees this spring. Can't wait for spring :)

bailey beekeeper

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2009
have you got all your gear yet? if you get a good flow in mesquite country you will be sitting on some great honey!
might want to have honey supers ready to go and start with nucs if you can get them local. get them early and feed them up early and you might get a spring harvest this year.
have you got a good mentor close by?

oops, are you in texas as your user name implies?

bailey

socpsy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2009
NW Arkansas
www.socpsy.com
I'm not a beekeeper, and I don't believe that I'll ever get the fever to become one (but, who knows?
shrug.gif
). Anyway, my wife and I have done some alternative gift-giving to each other this year and I found an interesting "gift" at our church's relief organization. While I probably won't become a bk myself, I have the satisfaction of setting up someone else.
thumbs.gif

TXBeowulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
have you got all your gear yet? if you get a good flow in mesquite country you will be sitting on some great honey!
might want to have honey supers ready to go and start with nucs if you can get them local. get them early and feed them up early and you might get a spring harvest this year.
have you got a good mentor close by?

oops, are you in texas as your user name implies?

bailey

Yes, I am in Texas - DFW metroplex, though our hives will be in the Alvarado area.

We do not yet have our hives - I was planning on getting the hives in January, and the packages in late Feb to early March. My wife has a friend who's father is a beekeeper that she has been speaking with, and we also have books, web sites, and a desire for our own honey and wax.

We are planning on the standard 2 medium deeps + supers setup. I had not even considered the possibility of a spring harvest this year, figuring that it would all go to brood rearing.

bailey beekeeper

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2009
trust me on this, make the wooden gear now while there is time.
get it painted and allow to dry well.
when the spring gets here then you will be ready!
never good to have to build wodenware in an emergency!

also try to get local nucs instead of a package, the advantage of the drawn comb is worth the few extra dollars.
if you can get the bees before feb and feed them well to build them up you can get gallons of honey the first year!

bailey

TXBeowulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
The problem with nucs is that you have to take the beekeeper's word as to the quality, whereas packaged bees are inspected.

I have not personally asked the opinion of any experienced beekeepers on this, but everything I have read or watched (books and internet) caution against using nucs from unknown sources.

As far as the wooden ware goes, at this point it is mostly a matter of money. The holidays make things tight all around. I plan on purchasing pre-cut (and possibly pre-assembled) deeps and supers, as I don't have a table saw or a place to put one. Hopefully by this time next year, both of those problems will be resolved, but for now I have to pay for some one else to do the work.

A

andrewschwab

Quality is a matter of "word" on both nucs and packages.
If you make a list of pros and cons they wash out.
Some prefer 1 or the other. Try some of each to see what works with you.;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns