PDA

View Full Version : Watch the Honey in Your Checked Bags!

socpsy
01-05-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34708124/ns/us_news-airliner_security/

Medsen Fey
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, great! Honey they stop. But you can carry a bag full of C4 plastic explosive on a flight to Dublin (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100105/ap_on_re_eu/eu_ireland_slovakia_hidden_explosives) - no problem. :p

Sheesh.... from now on I'm driving folks.

Edit
Actually it was something called RDX, not C4, but then I'm certainly no munitions expert. I'm only good for bottle bombs.

Kee
01-05-2010, 10:01 PM
"When TSA agents opened one of the bottles and tested the contents, the resulting fumes nauseated them..."

What kind of honey was this? Buckwheat?!

wildoates
01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, this is a strange story. I'm wondering if there isn't more to it...?

socpsy
01-05-2010, 10:14 PM
"When TSA agents opened one of the bottles and tested the contents, the resulting fumes nauseated them..."

What kind of honey was this? Buckwheat?!

LOL! http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/socpsy/rolling2.gif

TheTooth
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
"Why in this day and age would someone take a chance carrying honey in Gatorade bottles?" Youngblood said. "That itself is an alarm. It's hard to understand."

I didn't realize that carrying honey was "taking a chance". Should I fear that the bees will unite to bring down the plane or something? What a bunch of morons. I'm glad I've got them protecting me. :rolleyes:

TXBeowulf
01-06-2010, 12:06 PM
That particular quote stood out for me, as well. I had not realized that honey represented such a threat to national security.

Any one on this board could provide these security geniuses with an answer to their question: "The gatorade bottles where handy, and more transportable than the 5 gallon bucket in which the honey was originally stored." It isn't as if the guy tried carry the stuff on...

wayneb
01-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I think there may be more to the story. I hope if there is, that it comes to light. I've never smelled any honey that I'd consider "nauseating," no matter from what source, or how old. Something doesn't ring true here....

AToE
01-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I agree, there just aren't enough people that are that stupid for me to 100% believe this story, I'd place a bet that the media reporting it left out some less sensational but still essential facts (wait, they never do that do they?)

Well, I'm flying down across the boarder to Anaheim next week, and since I'm not allowed any carry on whatsoever... where will I put my honey?;)

wayneb
01-06-2010, 02:22 PM
In a Post Box, to be shipped wherever you're going?? :rolleyes: ;D

TheTooth
01-06-2010, 02:24 PM
there just aren't enough people that are that stupid for me to 100% believe this story

Sadly, I believe this story. I flew twice a week for about 6 years. I won't bore you with stories, but this seems like the type of stupidity I'd expect from TSA. It's not that all of the agents are stupid, but their rules leave very little room for common sense. Combine the fact that some of their agents aren't members of MENSA, some agents with power trips, and a terrorist attempt over the holiday... and you get this type of stupidity.

epetkus
01-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Whew, I guess I beat the rush!

I bought 1 gallon of CA buckwheat honey and 1/2 Gal. of Sage honey while out in the Mojave early in Dec., and "repackaged" the 6 glass quart jars into a gallon water jug and a 2 liter soda bottle.

Interestingly, my bag was opened because the packing was different, but I didn't get the "your bag was inspected" note or any other notification.

Eric

Smarrikåka
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
The whole hospitalisation thing seems out of place too. I don't know what the full story could be. Possibly a mix-up of two independent events that happened at the same time, in which the initial reports/rumour came out as if they were related, and the aftermath story was crafted to try and disguise this mix-up?