View Full Version : Lucanidomel?

Big Mac
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I checked on a mead I had recently racked to secondary over some frozen berry mix, and was astonished to see a small insect, about the size of a small blueberry, floating near the top. It appears to be a stag beetle, and he has to have been frozen in with the fruit over which I racked, as I doubt he could have swam through the airlock full of cheap vodka. I poured him off.

Anyone ever have experience with this, and do you think it would be harmful/detrimental? I'm extremely reluctant to dump it.

Medsen Fey
01-09-2010, 12:09 PM
You should see the MOG (material other than grape) that can find its way into a commercial fermenter. One insect isn't going to cause .....

Uhh....no, wait... that's not right. You never know, it could be toxic. In fact, you shouldn't even taste it. Better to be safe than sorry. Don't worry, I'll PM you my mailing address and you can ship it to me for proper disposal. :angel12:

Big Mac
01-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Ha Ha! I'm considering naming it "Bug Juice." It's interesting to note that fermentation kicked back up a bit, which is why I saw him at the top of the glass. I wonder if there are fermentables in stag beetles? Perhaps a bit of tannin? ;D

01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Ha Ha! I'm considering naming it "Bug Juice."

Beetlejuice was too easy?

Big Mac
01-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Beetlejuice! Perfect!

01-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Beetlejuice! Perfect!

Just don't tell anyone what it means...until AFTER they taste it. :)