Nineveh
01-11-2010, 03:48 AM
The ingredients:

3 bags of chamomile tea
3 cinnamon sticks
1 gallon of ozarka spring water
2.55 lbs of wildflower honey
1 packet of Fleischman's bread yeast

Goal: going for an alcohol of 12-14% with a sweet taste.

My method:

1. brought water to a boil in large pot, took off heat and steeped 3 chamomile tea bags, wildflower honey, and 3 cinnamon sticks. put lid over it. let it sit overnight to cool.

2. Next morning, transferred the must to 1 gallon carboy using large funnel.

3. closed with stopper and 3 piece airlock, shook for 5 minutes.

4. Prepared yeast by adding the contents of the packet to 1/4 cup of warm water. waited 15 minutes.

5. Pitched in yeast starter with 2 tlblsp of raisins.

6. Placed in cabinet beneath the sink for fermentation.

My observations:

On day of pitching, yeast started bubbling at a rate of 1 bubble per 10 secs 3 hrs after pitch.

Today, 3 days after pitching, the rate of bubbling is still 1 bubble per 10 secs.

Should there be more bubbling than what I have been observing?

Nineveh
01-11-2010, 04:33 AM
UPDATE:

I think the problem might be the Cap made by the raisins that have settled up to the neck of the carboy. I went ahead and removed all the raisins to minimize contamination and help the C02 process.

Medsen Fey
01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure what problem you were having from the raisin cap. Usually a little gentle swirling a couple of time a day to keep the cap loose and wet will keep any spoilage organisms from finding a home. Since the raisins are the primary source of nutrients for the yeast in this recipe, taking them out may deprive the yeast of nitrogen and give you a slower, longer, problematic fermentation.

Nineveh
01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Argh. So was the rate of bubbling I got before I removed the raisins alright for the recipe I was using?

The bubbling increased slightly to 1 bubble per 8 secs after I removed the fruit.

Would I muck things up further if I were to re-add some raisins?

AToE
01-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Bubbling rate generally isn't a very good indicator of anything, 9 times out of 10 there is simply some minute leak that slows down the bubbling rate, but also it can be effected by the amount of water in the airlock.

I would think you'd be fine re-adding the raisins, probably best options actually, but I've never made this recipe.

Nineveh
01-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I need to buy another hydrometer as the one I currently have doesn't have a S.G. scale...

Medsen Fey
01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
While I won't argue with getting a spare hydrometer or two (I've got serious butterfingers), just what scale does your hydrometer have? You can work just as well with Brix as with SG.