• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

1 Gallon of Methegelin

Barrel Char Wood Products

Nineveh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2009
Houston, TX
The ingredients:

3 bags of chamomile tea
3 cinnamon sticks
1 gallon of ozarka spring water
2.55 lbs of wildflower honey
1 packet of Fleischman's bread yeast

Goal: going for an alcohol of 12-14% with a sweet taste.

My method:

1. brought water to a boil in large pot, took off heat and steeped 3 chamomile tea bags, wildflower honey, and 3 cinnamon sticks. put lid over it. let it sit overnight to cool.

2. Next morning, transferred the must to 1 gallon carboy using large funnel.

3. closed with stopper and 3 piece airlock, shook for 5 minutes.

4. Prepared yeast by adding the contents of the packet to 1/4 cup of warm water. waited 15 minutes.

5. Pitched in yeast starter with 2 tlblsp of raisins.

6. Placed in cabinet beneath the sink for fermentation.

My observations:

On day of pitching, yeast started bubbling at a rate of 1 bubble per 10 secs 3 hrs after pitch.

Today, 3 days after pitching, the rate of bubbling is still 1 bubble per 10 secs.

Should there be more bubbling than what I have been observing?

Nineveh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2009
Houston, TX
UPDATE:

I think the problem might be the Cap made by the raisins that have settled up to the neck of the carboy. I went ahead and removed all the raisins to minimize contamination and help the C02 process.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I'm not sure what problem you were having from the raisin cap. Usually a little gentle swirling a couple of time a day to keep the cap loose and wet will keep any spoilage organisms from finding a home. Since the raisins are the primary source of nutrients for the yeast in this recipe, taking them out may deprive the yeast of nitrogen and give you a slower, longer, problematic fermentation.

Nineveh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2009
Houston, TX
Argh. So was the rate of bubbling I got before I removed the raisins alright for the recipe I was using?

The bubbling increased slightly to 1 bubble per 8 secs after I removed the fruit.

Would I muck things up further if I were to re-add some raisins?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Bubbling rate generally isn't a very good indicator of anything, 9 times out of 10 there is simply some minute leak that slows down the bubbling rate, but also it can be effected by the amount of water in the airlock.

I would think you'd be fine re-adding the raisins, probably best options actually, but I've never made this recipe.

Nineveh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2009
Houston, TX
Thanks for the heads-up. I need to buy another hydrometer as the one I currently have doesn't have a S.G. scale...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns