PDA

View Full Version : My JAOM came out very sweet. Is this normal?

jaxn slim
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
I followed the recipe to the detail and still ended up with a FG of 1.061. My OG was 1.140, so that still puts me at about 10.5% ABV. It's very, very sweet.

Seems like it finished a little too soon.

The one spot where I might have varied from the recipe is that it fermented a little cooler than prescribed. Instead of the 70s F, it was more in the mid-60s F. Would that explain it?

I waited until it cleared and the oranges dropped (2 months and 2 days).

What do you think?

Medsen Fey
01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Did you use more than 3.5 pounds of honey? I ask because the gravity you started with was a bit higher than expected - usually you get something around 1.120. Starting higher you will end higher.

The bread yeast prefer the warmer temp and might have gone a little farther if the temp was kept in the mid 70s. In fact, I would strongly urge you to put it someplace where the temp is in the 70s just to make sure the yeast won't restart when it warms up - you wouldn't want that happening in a bottle.

If it won't go any more, you have a couple of choices - one is to enjoy it sweet. The second is to make another batch but start with less honey and a gravity of about 1.100. Then blend the dry batch with the sweet. The third would be to pitch a Champagne yeast and try to dry it out more now.

I hope that helps.

Medsen

jaxn slim
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Did you use more than 3.5 pounds of honey? I ask because the gravity you started with was a bit higher than expected - usually you get something around 1.120. Starting higher you will end higher.

The bread yeast prefer the warmer temp and might have gone a little farther if the temp was kept in the mid 70s. In fact, I would strongly urge you to put it someplace where the temp is in the 70s just to make sure the yeast won't restart when it warms up - you wouldn't want that happening in a bottle.

If it won't go any more, you have a couple of choices - one is to enjoy it sweet. The second is to make another batch but start with less honey and a gravity of about 1.100. Then blend the dry batch with the sweet. The third would be to pitch a Champagne yeast and try to dry it out more now.

I hope that helps.

Medsen

Thank you.

I'm sure I used only 3.5 lbs of honey. If the OG was too high, most likely I didn't add enough water. And I'll definitely make another batch with wine yeast. It's pretty good now, but I can tell it has potential if done correctly. :)

iamjoeyjo
01-14-2014, 08:07 PM
How did it go with the wine yeast?

mannye
01-15-2014, 01:35 AM
How did it go with the wine yeast?

With the wine yeast, he's probably tasting it now and saying...OK...NOW it's good. :D

GntlKnigt1
01-15-2014, 04:44 AM
After 4 years, I would think so (look at the dates)

mannye
01-15-2014, 10:15 AM
After 4 years, I would think so (look at the dates)

Exactly! Lol.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

GntlKnigt1
01-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Your 100 year transdimensional thingy should feel right at home Manny....

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

mannye
01-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Right now I'm getting ready to rack the mead I drank 100 years ago.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G