View Full Version : How do you transfer honey out of 5 gallon buckets?

jaxn slim
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
A buddy ordered some bulk honey in 5 gallon buckets and offered to sell me some. I went over there to get 15 lbs, and we had the toughest time with pouring the honey into jars. The pour always started really wide before it started to thin up to fit nicely in the jars. We made a huge mess.

Is there a good way to do this? Is seems like a spigot would be great for this, but the buckets don't ship with that, so it doesn't seem like much of an option.

01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I'd just use a very, very big spoon. It'd still be messy, and time consuming.

I prefer to work with crystalized honey for that very reason, it can be scooped much easier and more neatly, though you can develop a pretty sore arm from digging it out!

01-13-2010, 12:27 AM
I just pour very slowly, and always into a bucket that is the same or similar diameter to my storage bucket. If you have the inclination to do it with less potential for spillage, you can always use a honey gate on a bulk bucket lid: http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=103

01-13-2010, 12:34 AM
I, errrr...make a huge mess. :)

I use a plastic cup that stays in the bucket, and pour over the bucket so any spills just go back home.

And I lick my fingers when I'm done. That's the best part. :)