PDA

View Full Version : reducing a recipe

NAlford
01-22-2010, 08:37 PM
I am a new mead maker and have produced two good batches of JAOM and a batch of Cyser (and a couple of gallons of Cider).

I would like to branch out a bit and try other recipes. My wife gave me Ken Schramm's "The Compleat Meadmaker" for Christmas and I found it to be very helpful. I would like to try his Medium Sweet Orange Blossom Mead but to reduce it to one gallon. I am not ready to brew five gallons of anything at this point. I want to experiment a bit more first. To take a recipe for 5 gallons down to one gallon do I reduce everything to 20%? even the yeast?

One other question - I bought some Fermaid K and used a tsp in a gallon of Cyser (appears to have done well, just racked it and took a taste). Is this about the right amount for a typical gallon recipe? any general rule of thumb for using it?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Displaced Hick
01-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Usually when scaling down a recipe the general advice is to leave the yeast at the original amount. Just think of it as giving the yeast a head start on reproduction:).

NAlford
01-25-2010, 08:59 PM
This recipe calls for 2 packages of Lalvin 71b-1122 for 5 gallons of mead. Won't using 2 packages be too much for one gallon?

Medsen Fey
01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Yes, 1 packet of yeast will be fine for a 1-gallon batch.