PDA

View Full Version : The Mazer Cup International 2010 - Call for entries!

Oskaar
01-22-2010, 09:03 PM
The Mazer Cup International 2010 - Mead Only Competition - Call for Entries

March 26 & 27, 2010, Boulder, Colorado

The Mazer Cup International is a BJCP & AHA sanctioned mead-only competition open to all home meadmakers.

After a tremendously successful competition in 2010, and continued support from from the Mazer Cup founding fathers, Ken Schramm, Dan McConnell and Mike O'Brien, Gotmead.com is happy and excited to sponsor the Mazer Cup International 2010. We will do our best to continue the tradition of the original competition, and work to make it the best competition possible. We are committed to bringing the best judges available to Boulder, Colorado from North America, Europe and wherever else mead is held in high regard.

This year we will continue the tradition of the original Mazer Cup by awarding hand-crafted mazers to the winners of our home competition. Our distinctive medals for the commercial winners have already become a coveted achievement in the commercial mead making industry.

With kind permission from Ken, Dan and Mike, the MCI competition staff and Got Mead (http://www.gotmead.com) have taken up the torch and will sponsor a home and commercial mead competition the weekend of March 26 - 27, 2010 in Boulder, Colorado. The Mazer Cup International is well on it's way to growing and evolving into a best of breed mead event.

How do I enter?
Click here (http://www.mazercup.com/home/Web_Entry.htm) to enter online or you may download the entry form, bottle ID forms, rules, regulations and style guidelines. Entries are $7, however if you enter electronically we discount the entry fee to $6.00.

Why should I enter?
• You get to compete against a host of international home meadmakers
• Valuable feedback from experienced judges and professional meadmakers
• Suggestions on how to improve your mead from judges and other meadmakers

When may I enter?
• Enter Now! The Mazer Cup International is currently accepting entries
• The entry deadline is March 15, 2010
• The Mazer Cup Home Competition judging will be on Saturday, March 27, 2010

Don't Miss Out!
Visit the Mazer Cup International Website here (http://www.mazercup.com/index.htm). Enter and go head-to-head with some of the best meadmakers in the world. This will be a great competition for mead feedback from mead experts, writers and award winning meadmakers.

Add us as a Facebook friend here (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Mazer-Cup-International/262804674181)

or

Follow us on Twitter here (http://twitter.com/MazerCup)

wildoates
01-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I won't have anything even close to ready by then, but maybe next year?!

Arcanum
01-23-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm in the same position as wildoates. Maybe 2011.

wildoates
01-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Pete, am I insane or are there 2009 dates in your announcement?

Oskaar
01-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Pete, am I insane or are there 2009 dates in your announcement?

There were some bad dates in there. This on top of an 70 hour work week!

Cheers,

Oskaar

BBBF
01-23-2010, 09:42 AM
I definatly have 1 batch I want to send this year. I have another that could use some more aging, but it might be nice to get some notes on it before starting the next batch.

Displaced Hick
01-23-2010, 11:43 AM
How do I determine the levels for carbonation and sweetness? I have my original notes from my braggot with priming additions and final SG but I am not sure how they translate to the terms listed on the entry form. Also what are the ABV% ranges for the varying strength levels?

wildoates
01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
There were some bad dates in there. This on top of an 70 hour work week!

Cheers,

Oskaar
No worries...been there. I was just afraid that I was too thick to understand and that'd be dire. :)

Oskaar
01-23-2010, 03:54 PM
How do I determine the levels for carbonation and sweetness? I have my original notes from my braggot with priming additions and final SG but I am not sure how they translate to the terms listed on the entry form. Also what are the ABV% ranges for the varying strength levels?

Pettilant - Sparkling but not to the degree of a really foamy beer, or very carbonated sparkling wine. More like a moderate degree of carbonation that is more noticeable when poured and then backs off and is very lightly carbonated.

Sparkling - Full on sparkling. Think sparkling wine and champagne or a good heady beer that maintains it's carbonation as you drink it.

Still - like pouring a glass of water.

Check the forums for sweetness, or go to the BJCP style guidelines which are linked on the Mazer Cup (http://www.mazercup.com)Website.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar
01-26-2010, 09:56 PM
For those of you Got Meaders out there are going to enter the MCI 2010 don't forget that you are automatically members of:

GotMead International Brewmasters
Club ID #: 000172454
Club Contact: Jered Talbot (Wrathwilde)
Email: wrathwilde@gotmead.com

No Dues, No Fees, if you're a registered member of GotMead then consider yourself a member of "GotMead International Brewmasters" as well. Use the above information as needed when entering AHA sanctioned/sponsored events or any other event that lets you include your Brewclub affiliation.

Cheers... and Medals for all!!!
Wrathwilde and Oskaar (ex post facto)

wildoates
01-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I didn't know that!

Sweet.

wayneb
01-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah - and it is really sweet to see the expression on Vicky's face every time they announce a "Gotmead Brewmaster" winner! ;D

Displaced Hick
01-31-2010, 03:16 AM
Okay, I have a handle on my entry, and just have one more area for clarification.
A friend mentioned that for competitions the bottles can't have anything on them. All of my mead is bottled in Sam Adams and Red Hook bottles that have the names in raised glass. My question is: is this grounds for disqualification of an entry?

Summersolstice
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Bottles and caps must indeed be unmarked to promote anonymity and to avoid any perception of favoritism and I assume that unique bottle styles would fall under the same category. Perhaps Wayne, Oskaar, or one of the others will clarify.

DoomChain
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
One thing I can't seem to determine; Is this event open to public attendance? I don't have anything that I would even consider entering but I live in the area and would like to attend.

wayneb
02-01-2010, 12:15 AM
First, the question about bottles. Any markings, even raised letters in the glass, are grounds for disqualification. Sorry, but in order to have the competition as fair as possible we can't have any distinguishing features at all on any of the bottles.

As far as attending the event, it is still not "open to the public," since we're not yet back up to the staff and outside support necessary to host a full-blown public tasting like used to be part of the old International Mead Festival (Don't worry - it is coming, just not yet this year!), but if you're willing to volunteer for one of the days of the event, then you'll be "in the thick of it" and you'll have the opportunity to taste and discuss lots of different meads with the other participants. If you'd like to volunteer then go to the Mazer Cup website and click on the volunteer link.

There will also be one small poured tasting event associated with the competition, that will be very limited attendance. Again, if you are volunteering you'll have the best possibility of participating in that.

wildoates
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I'd volunteer in a minute if I lived closer.

Oskaar
02-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Okay, I have a handle on my entry, and just have one more area for clarification.
A friend mentioned that for competitions the bottles can't have anything on them. All of my mead is bottled in Sam Adams and Red Hook bottles that have the names in raised glass. My question is: is this grounds for disqualification of an entry?

We're kicking around a couple of possibilities concerning raised lettering on the bottles.

Stay tuned to the Mazer Cup International (http://www.mazercup.com)website or the Facebook Fan Page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazer-Cup-International/262804674181)or even follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/MazerCup)for updates in the next couple of days.

Oskaar

Oskaar
02-03-2010, 11:16 AM
OK, the jury is in and bottles with raised lettering (ala Sam Adams bottles_) are now acceptable for entry. All you folks with Sammy bottles or any others with raised lettering that have been holding off, bottle 'em up and send them in.

The verbiage has been added to the Mazer Cup International (http://www.mazercup.com)website, in the section covering entry rules (http://www.mazercup.com/mcih_entry_rules.htm).

If you're not already a fan catch us here (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazer-Cup-International/262804674181)on Facebook, or here (http://twitter.com/MazerCup)on Twitter. We're picking up fans on Facebook right and left, and this little ole mead competition is up to 129 fans alread. Looks like the time for mead is upon us.

Cheers,

Oskaar

wayneb
02-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I'd volunteer in a minute if I lived closer.

Hey Jenn, it's only a 21 hr drive from your place. ;D

Medsen Fey
02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
OK, the jury is in and bottles with raised lettering (ala Sam Adams bottles_) are now acceptable for entry.

I'm really pleased to hear this. Uncle Sam is a frequent guest at the Fusel Shack, and I've got quite a few bottles sitting around. I was going out to buy some other beer just for bottles. ;D

Medsen

welder
02-10-2010, 02:47 AM
What size bottles? My local county fair wants 375's. I just want to make sure that we need 750's for this. and how many bottles per entry?

jim

capoeirista13
02-10-2010, 02:55 AM
Oh crap I just saw this now, I still have time to bottle and enter yeah?

Edit: just saw the entry date, when can we start sending them in though?

Also, what do we look at to find out how to categorize our drinks? I have this one I made with blueberry juice, blueberry honey, vanilla and star anise and I'm thinking that makes it a mead, but non-traditional, so does that make it a pyment? Confused

Summersolstice
02-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Also, what do we look at to find out how to categorize our drinks? I have this one I made with blueberry juice, blueberry honey, vanilla and star anise and I'm thinking that makes it a mead, but non-traditional, so does that make it a pyment? Confused

You can begin sending your entries any time. I plan to wait a week or so since it's so cold here right now and I don't want to risk my entries getting frozen inside a truck. Style guidelines can be found on the Mazer Cup International website. FWIW - Pyment is mead made from grapes.

slowbie
02-10-2010, 09:44 AM

http://www.mazercup.com/mcih_bjcp_guidelines.htm <--Here's the link you want for categories.

wayneb
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Also, what do we look at to find out how to categorize our drinks? I have this one I made with blueberry juice, blueberry honey, vanilla and star anise and I'm thinking that makes it a mead, but non-traditional, so does that make it a pyment?

And just to emphasize one aspect of the categories, if you have something that doesn't fit into any of the other categories (like the mixed melomel-metheglin you're describing here), the category to enter it under is 26C, the Open Category.

welder
02-10-2010, 02:37 PM
What size bottles? My local county fair wants 375's. I just want to make sure that we need 750's for this. and how many bottles per entry?

jim

Anyone?

jim

AToE
02-10-2010, 02:44 PM
The Mazer Cup website is a good resource for this stuff. Says to use 375ml I believe, and recommends that you send a min of 2 but preferably 3 to ensure enough to make it through all the rounds:

Beer Bottles: Two or three 12 oz brown or green crown capped beer bottles. Crown caps must be plain or blacked out with permanent marker. Raised lettering on Beer or Wine bottles is permitted (e.g. Sam Adams) and is not a reason for disqualification. Wine Bottles: Two or three 375 ml clear or green wine-style bottles with cork closures. Corks may not bear any designs and may not be sealed with wax, foil or heat shrink capsules. Failure to comply with bottle standards will result in disqualification. You may enter just two bottles if you wish, however, you do so knowing full well that if your mead progresses past the first medal round there may not be enough mead left for the BoS round. You also know that if one of the two bottles is broken during shipping, or transfer to the judging site, there is no guarantee that there will be enough mead left to progress to subsequent medal rounds. Three bottles will ensure enough mead for medal and BoS rounds if your mead progresses that far. Swing-type caps are not permitted. An entry that excessively gushes from more than one bottle will be disqualified.

wayneb
02-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Anyone?

jim

Not to belabor the point, but everything you need to know is on the Mazer Cup website. ;)

welder
02-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Ok I found it
thanks

jim

Brad Dahlhofer
02-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I want to enter some meads in the commercial competition, but I only have 2 bottles of many of them. Is this going to be a problem?

capoeirista13
02-11-2010, 05:27 AM
Nice, thanks for the updates everyone!

wildoates
02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
I want to enter some meads in the commercial competition, but I only have 2 bottles of many of them. Is this going to be a problem?

It sounds like if they don't win, you're fine. :);D

wayneb
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Brad, I don't want to speak for the commercial registration team, so let me recommend that you send an email to the "commercial registrar" (link is on the left side of the Mazer Cup website), and ask your question directly. That's the best way to get a definitive, official answer.

Displaced Hick
02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Got the entry labels rubberbanded to the bottles, wrapped in bubble wrap, all that in a plastic bag, and ready to head to the UPS store tomorrow. You can hear a faint sloshing sound when the package is moved around so I might end up having to repack and head to another store (guess I'll find out tomorrow:p).

capoeirista13
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Bottled tonight, sending them out (hopefully) tomorrow. I have a question though. On the application sheet there were a few colorado addresses and one to Wayne. Where do we send our bottles to?

Medsen Fey
03-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Mail it to Wayne. The other locations are for local drop off I believe.

BBBF
03-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Got the entry labels rubberbanded to the bottles, wrapped in bubble wrap, all that in a plastic bag, and ready to head to the UPS store tomorrow. You can hear a faint sloshing sound when the package is moved around so I might end up having to repack and head to another store (guess I'll find out tomorrow:p).

Opps... I forgot to put the bottles in a bag. Hopefully it's a safe trip.

Summersolstice
03-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Mail it to Wayne. The other locations are for local drop off I believe.

Yes, send them to Wayne and good luck!

Medsen Fey
03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I've never been a twit before (someone who twitters, right? ;D ), but if there is going to be a steady stream of info coming during the competition for those of us not fortunate enough to attend, I'm really gonna like it. Please keep the great info coming!

Summersolstice
03-06-2010, 12:36 PM
There's also a Facebook page - check it out!

capoeirista13
03-06-2010, 02:23 PM
bottles are sent, w00t, now to wait...how do we get our scores/the tasting notes? e-mail or physical mail?

wayneb
03-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Copies of all the judges' tasting notes and scores will be sent to you in the regular mail. If you're lucky, a mazer will be in that package as well! ;D

Oskaar
03-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Final Call for Entries - Mazer Cup International 2010

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS MARCH 15, 2010
Click here (http://www.mazercup.com/home/Web_Entry.htm) to enter

We’re down to the final week of entries before the March 15th, 2010 deadline so bottle ‘em up and send them on it to the Mazer Cup International Home Meadmaker competition. This is going to be a very deep field this year with entries from all over the globe making is a truly international competition!

How do I enter?
Click here (http://www.mazercup.com/home/Web_Entry.htm) to enter online or you may download the entry form, bottle ID forms, rules, regulations and style guidelines. Entries are $7, however if you enter electronically we discount the entry fee to $6.00.

When may I enter?
• Enter Now! The Mazer Cup International is currently accepting entries
• The entry deadline is March 15, 2010
• The Mazer Cup Home Competition judging will be on Saturday, March 27, 2010

Don't Miss Out!
Visit the Mazer Cup International Website here (http://www.mazercup.com/index.htm). Enter and go head-to-head with some of the best meadmakers in the world. This will be a great competition for mead feedback from mead experts, writers and award winning meadmakers.

Add us as a Facebook friend here (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Mazer-Cup-International/262804674181)

or

Follow us on Twitter here (http://twitter.com/MazerCup)

capoeirista13
03-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Argh I'm so excited! I just keep thinking about it!

yabodie
03-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I have sent three of mine in. Can't wait for the comments to come back...

Beertracker
03-11-2010, 01:45 AM
I got mine entered, packed & shipped off today. Whew! Almost forgot. :p

Beertracker
03-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Do we have any final numbers on the commercial & home competition yet? ???

:occasion14:

wayneb
03-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Not yet, since a lot of local entries are still coming in (for the home comp anyway) and the cutoff is tomorrow. That said, we're already up to 243 home entries which is significantly higher than last year (when we had 198 ). The commercial entries are somewhere over 160 but I can't remember the actual number (and our server is down at work so I can't check on the latest number).

We'll post actual final counts shortly - probably sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday.

wildoates
03-15-2010, 12:11 AM
WOW!

I can only imagine the administrative work necessary for all of that. Kudos to you guys!

Noe Palacios
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
ˇˇˇˇ Alea iacta est !!!!

:occasion6:

Beertracker
03-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Not yet, since a lot of local entries are still coming in (for the home comp anyway) and the cutoff is tomorrow. That said, we're already up to 243 home entries which is significantly higher than last year (when we had 198 ). The commercial entries are somewhere over 160 but I can't remember the actual number (and our server is down at work so I can't check on the latest number).

We'll post actual final counts shortly - probably sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday.

That's awesome! Thanks for the update. :o

:occasion14:

wayneb
03-15-2010, 11:23 AM
ˇˇˇˇ Alea iacta est !!!!

:occasion6:

Did we just cross a river here or something...?? ;D

Noe Palacios
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Did we just cross a river here or something...?? ;D

It is simply the anxious excitement.

Noe Palacios
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
It is simply the anxious excitement.

Can you imagine?

Everyone who entered to the MCI thinks that he or she has something to show, and everyone wants to be noticed and recognized by the world most serius mead making community.

Yes, it is something to be excited for. Well in my case, it is.

Regards, :cheers:

Noe

AToE
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I wish I'd had something good ready for this year's competition, not even to win, just for the scoring sheet it's more than worth the cash, but alas, nothing this year, will have to wait for next!

Medsen Fey
03-15-2010, 05:39 PM
...just for the scoring sheet it's more than worth the cash...

You said that right!
For 6 bucks you get excellent, unbiased feedback from folks like Oskaar, wayneb, and other outstanding meadmakers explaining exactly what is needed to improve your mead. That's something you don't find every day. I saw the winemaker magazine contest is going on (which also includes meads) but the entry fee is $25. It cost me less than that to enter and SHIP to the MCI! That's aMAZING! ;D

Noe Palacios
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
You said that right!
For 6 bucks you get excellent, unbiased feedback from folks like Oskaar, wayneb, and other outstanding meadmakers explaining exactly what is needed to improve your mead.

I am agree.

Oskaar
03-19-2010, 06:17 AM
I am agree.

Me too! ;D

Wait, was that out loud? Seriously we really make an effort to put constructive, helpful and detailed comments on the judging sheets, and make sure our judges have what they need to do the best job they can.

Cheers,

Oskaar