• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Mazer Cup International 2010 - Call for entries!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
The Mazer Cup International 2010 - Mead Only Competition - Call for Entries

March 26 & 27, 2010, Boulder, Colorado

The Mazer Cup International is a BJCP & AHA sanctioned mead-only competition open to all home meadmakers.

After a tremendously successful competition in 2010, and continued support from from the Mazer Cup founding fathers, Ken Schramm, Dan McConnell and Mike O'Brien, Gotmead.com is happy and excited to sponsor the Mazer Cup International 2010. We will do our best to continue the tradition of the original competition, and work to make it the best competition possible. We are committed to bringing the best judges available to Boulder, Colorado from North America, Europe and wherever else mead is held in high regard.

This year we will continue the tradition of the original Mazer Cup by awarding hand-crafted mazers to the winners of our home competition. Our distinctive medals for the commercial winners have already become a coveted achievement in the commercial mead making industry.

With kind permission from Ken, Dan and Mike, the MCI competition staff and Got Mead have taken up the torch and will sponsor a home and commercial mead competition the weekend of March 26 - 27, 2010 in Boulder, Colorado. The Mazer Cup International is well on it's way to growing and evolving into a best of breed mead event.

How do I enter?
Click here to enter online or you may download the entry form, bottle ID forms, rules, regulations and style guidelines. Entries are $7, however if you enter electronically we discount the entry fee to $6.00.

Why should I enter?
• You get to compete against a host of international home meadmakers
• Valuable feedback from experienced judges and professional meadmakers
• Suggestions on how to improve your mead from judges and other meadmakers

When may I enter?
• Enter Now! The Mazer Cup International is currently accepting entries
• The entry deadline is March 15, 2010
• The Mazer Cup Home Competition judging will be on Saturday, March 27, 2010

Don't Miss Out!
Visit the Mazer Cup International Website here. Enter and go head-to-head with some of the best meadmakers in the world. This will be a great competition for mead feedback from mead experts, writers and award winning meadmakers.

Add us as a Facebook friend here

or

Follow us on Twitter here

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
I definatly have 1 batch I want to send this year. I have another that could use some more aging, but it might be nice to get some notes on it before starting the next batch.

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
How do I determine the levels for carbonation and sweetness? I have my original notes from my braggot with priming additions and final SG but I am not sure how they translate to the terms listed on the entry form. Also what are the ABV% ranges for the varying strength levels?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
How do I determine the levels for carbonation and sweetness? I have my original notes from my braggot with priming additions and final SG but I am not sure how they translate to the terms listed on the entry form. Also what are the ABV% ranges for the varying strength levels?

Pettilant - Sparkling but not to the degree of a really foamy beer, or very carbonated sparkling wine. More like a moderate degree of carbonation that is more noticeable when poured and then backs off and is very lightly carbonated.

Sparkling - Full on sparkling. Think sparkling wine and champagne or a good heady beer that maintains it's carbonation as you drink it.

Still - like pouring a glass of water.

Check the forums for sweetness, or go to the BJCP style guidelines which are linked on the Mazer Cup Website.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
For those of you Got Meaders out there are going to enter the MCI 2010 don't forget that you are automatically members of:

GotMead International Brewmasters
Club ID #: 000172454
Club Contact: Jered Talbot (Wrathwilde)

Email: wrathwilde@gotmead.com

No Dues, No Fees, if you're a registered member of GotMead then consider yourself a member of "GotMead International Brewmasters" as well. Use the above information as needed when entering AHA sanctioned/sponsored events or any other event that lets you include your Brewclub affiliation.

Cheers... and Medals for all!!!
Wrathwilde and Oskaar (ex post facto)

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
Okay, I have a handle on my entry, and just have one more area for clarification.
A friend mentioned that for competitions the bottles can't have anything on them. All of my mead is bottled in Sam Adams and Red Hook bottles that have the names in raised glass. My question is: is this grounds for disqualification of an entry?

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
Bottles and caps must indeed be unmarked to promote anonymity and to avoid any perception of favoritism and I assume that unique bottle styles would fall under the same category. Perhaps Wayne, Oskaar, or one of the others will clarify.

DoomChain

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 17, 2009
Denver.
One thing I can't seem to determine; Is this event open to public attendance? I don't have anything that I would even consider entering but I live in the area and would like to attend.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
First, the question about bottles. Any markings, even raised letters in the glass, are grounds for disqualification. Sorry, but in order to have the competition as fair as possible we can't have any distinguishing features at all on any of the bottles.

As far as attending the event, it is still not "open to the public," since we're not yet back up to the staff and outside support necessary to host a full-blown public tasting like used to be part of the old International Mead Festival (Don't worry - it is coming, just not yet this year!), but if you're willing to volunteer for one of the days of the event, then you'll be "in the thick of it" and you'll have the opportunity to taste and discuss lots of different meads with the other participants. If you'd like to volunteer then go to the Mazer Cup website and click on the volunteer link.

There will also be one small poured tasting event associated with the competition, that will be very limited attendance. Again, if you are volunteering you'll have the best possibility of participating in that.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Okay, I have a handle on my entry, and just have one more area for clarification.
A friend mentioned that for competitions the bottles can't have anything on them. All of my mead is bottled in Sam Adams and Red Hook bottles that have the names in raised glass. My question is: is this grounds for disqualification of an entry?

We're kicking around a couple of possibilities concerning raised lettering on the bottles.

Stay tuned to the Mazer Cup International website or the Facebook Fan Page or even follow us on Twitter for updates in the next couple of days.

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
OK, the jury is in and bottles with raised lettering (ala Sam Adams bottles_) are now acceptable for entry. All you folks with Sammy bottles or any others with raised lettering that have been holding off, bottle 'em up and send them in.

The verbiage has been added to the Mazer Cup International website, in the section covering entry rules.

If you're not already a fan catch us here on Facebook, or here on Twitter. We're picking up fans on Facebook right and left, and this little ole mead competition is up to 129 fans alread. Looks like the time for mead is upon us.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns