PDA

View Full Version : follow-up questions about bach n3

ash
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
receipe: 800 grams bakery honey, 2 Liter batch, just tossed in some cinamon, some clove, a tiny bit of citron juice and some apple cut into small pieces). This was pasturised but not cooled fast. I put the rehydrated yeast in that (Vinoferm, Bioferm Blanc : saccharomyces cérevisiae ellipsoidus 'Epernay'), a bit of yeast nutricion and let it sit in a carboy with airlock.
I also used a starter for this bach.
The 2 liter carboy has green glass

I have no readings before fermentation.
I wasn't to concerned with desinfecting equipment, I just boiled everything iso using sulfite.

today I racked to get rid of the lees. I desinfected all equipment with sulfite and citron juice this time.

was not entierly clear.

readings were now: 990
vinometer said 10% alcohol but I don't quite think this is accurate.

taste was very dry and clove-isch (apparently I used a bit to much clove :)).

after racking the airlock showed emmidiate reaction (the water remained in the part away from the mead) so It's not done fermenting?

I back-sweetened with a single lump of sugar and added 2 shot glasses worth of cogniac.

How much alcohol would this batch contain according to you guys?
What is your general opinion about this batch and its progress?
How will this batch end up ?

AToE
01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
:confused: I don't know if anyone will be able to tell you how that's going to turn out, it's probably a "little bit" outside of what anyone else has done before! I don't know what the ABV would be after adding that congnac, and also, that sugar you put in to backsweeten will probably just end up fermented as well, but you could figure out roughly what the ABV is from the 800grams of honey in 2 litres using the mead calculator. When I plug that in (0.52gal batch size and 1.76lbs) I get an SG of 1.124, which would be roughly 17% ABV if fermented totally dry (which it looks like you have).

From the ABV and your comments that the spices are a bit too strong, plus the fact that you fortified it even more and added more fermentables... I would take a wild guess that this one might take a while of aging to calm down!

ash
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
thx !

I don't seem to be able to make much sense of the mead calculator, but thanx a lot for giving me an idea of what to expect.

Basically I just have to wait another few months and taste it once in a while to see when its good for drinking :-).

AToE
01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
It took me a while to figure out too, just play around with it and forget all about the "calculate" button, it makes the calculations automatically whenever you adjust one of the feilds (for example, if you change the total qty it will effect the SG, until you go and raise the amount of fermentables, etc). Eventually it makes sense, and then is pretty helpful!

ash
01-26-2010, 08:15 AM
what exactly did you fill in to make the above calculation. So I can try that and see how it works, cause I've been trying and trying but it doensn't work.

AToE
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM
First thing you have to do is check off the box on the bottom right next to target volume, then fill in that feild (0.52 gal). Then you check off the box for "additional sugars #1" and adjust the qty of honey from 15lbs (default) to 1.76 - as soon as you have typed that in just click somewhere that isn't important so that the 1.76 is actually entered into the feild, and you will see the SG and ABV feilds at the bottom left automatically adjust to the info I listed previously.

Basically, you check off the info you know and fill it out, then it does it's best to give you the numbers for the feilds you didn't check off.