• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

how to get ride of to much SO2

Barrel Char Wood Products

slimslam

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 16, 2008
ok so i used a test kit to meassure so2 in a batch of mead im ready to bottle at its at about 100 ppm so how do i get ride of some of the so2 without waiting forever. i use a enolmatic to vaccum degas could this help get the levels down some ?

slimslam

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 16, 2008
well i notice a slight amout of sulfur smell but it might just be me. its a traditional mead nothign special, had some friends that wanted some and after the holidays my stash is a little low so i was going to bottle some i normally would just let it age out but im kinda rushing this. will the so2 levels get less if it ages in the bottle ?

slimslam

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 16, 2008
wells it very slight im not sure if its just collecting at the top of the 1 gallon jugs i have been aging it in not a burnt smell in any way but not as strong as the rotten eggs smell. its ever so slight i just enjoy perfection when it comes to my wine/mead.

another question i have is if i want to set a few bottles away for a few years to i have to put an increased amount of so2 in or will the standered amount of 25-50 ppm work? does so2 levels go down after the wine is bottled and stored i guess is the question?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
And although the dynamics in mead haven't been studied in detail, it ought to work similarly in meads. Principally SO2 is a very volatile gas, and comes out of solution readily - so that which doesn't chemically bind with other stuff in the mead will eventually make its way into the headroom (airspace) in the bottle, and will dissipate into the air pretty much as soon as you pull the cork.

If you can barely smell it now, then within a few weeks, even if the mead is in a corked container, enough of it will dissipate to make it undetectable.

slimslam

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 16, 2008
your awesome wayneb .. i guess i got a little paranoid since this is the first time i have used the so2 detection kit before i never knew what the levels where at.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns