• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Amount of yeast needed

Barrel Char Wood Products

Asator

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pa
Does the size of the batch change the number of packets of yeast needed? Example, if a person uses one packet of D47 for a 1 gallon batch of mead, should a person use more than one packet for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks,
A

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Commercial packs of wine yeasts for home users generally are sized for a 5 gallon batch (usually anywhere from 1 to 2 grams per gallon of active dry yeast), designed for use in an average starting specific gravity. If you happen to use a full packet of D47 for a single gallon, that won't hurt a thing (all it means is that fewer generations of yeast cells will have to occur to build up to a stable population), but if you want to go appreciably larger than 5 gallons, or if you're starting from an initial gravity much higher than that typical of wine musts (say anything over 1.115 or so), it would be a good idea to pitch two packs.

You can pitch too much yeast, but generally that involves LOTS of yeast (say 10 to 20 packets into a 5 gallon batch). Likewise, if you pitch too little yeast then the cells need to undergo reproduction for more cycles to build up a stable colony, which could introduce mutations in the population, or if there isn't enough nutrient or oxygen to sustain that reproduction, you'll be left with too few cells to do a good job and the fermentation might stick at a higher than desired gravity.

Fishbone

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 17, 2007
Woodbridge, Virginia
I noticed an Oskaar recipe a while ago (I can't remember which one) where he pitched 4 packets of D47 in a very high gravity must...if my memory serves me correctly, I think the SG was about 1.140 in that recipe. I recently made a sweet lucuma melomel (SG was 1.136) and I pitched 4 packets of D47 similar to Oskaar's recipe (I am pretty sure Oskaar knows a thing or two about mead-making). This thing went from 1.136 to 1.024 in about 7 days. I've never had a mead ferment this fast. I used the standard staggered nutrient additions. I am wondering if this was due to the amount of yeast (4 packets), or the fact that the nutrients from the lucuma powder significantly contributed to the fermentation...or both. I made a a sack mead (not a mel) prior to this one with exactly the same SG - 1.136. I only added two packets of yeast and used the staggered nutrients additions and this batch took almost a month to get to 1.024.

...whatever the reasons...I think SOP for me from now on is to pitch 4 packets on any SG over 1.130...especially if it's D47.

Asator

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 21, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pa
What about pitching more yeast after the initial pitch? For example, 3 days into the ferment and you realize that you forgot the advice of others to pitch 2 packets and you only pitched 1. I have a brew going right now that I accidentally started with 1 packet and am wondering if I should pitch another or if it is too late now. You can see my brewlog to get the specifics.
Asator's Eitr

Brad Dahlhofer

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ferndale, MI
www.bnektar.com
I noticed an Oskaar recipe a while ago (I can't remember which one) where he pitched 4 packets of D47 in a very high gravity must...if my memory serves me correctly, I think the SG was about 1.140 in that recipe. I recently made a sweet lucuma melomel (SG was 1.136) and I pitched 4 packets of D47 similar to Oskaar's recipe (I am pretty sure Oskaar knows a thing or two about mead-making).

I regularly get a full fermentation of 1.135 meads within 7-14 days with 2g/gallon. 4g/gallon doesn't seem like it would be overpitching, so if that's what works for you. Go for it. I've just found that 2g/gal works for me.

In my case, I'm pitching 600 grams of yeast in a commercial-sized batch. I tend to not want to increase the cost if it's not really giving me a much different result.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns