PDA

View Full Version : Botanicals

BATSON1
02-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Thank you in advance. First time poster, long time reader
First let me start by saying I am somewhere inbetween a novice and an intermediate brewer. I have brewed beer many times in the past but I am only on my third batch of mead. (all three melomels of different types) I feel as though I have a pretty good grasp on the fundamentals of mead and would like to branch out a bit into something besides fruit. I have done a little research into botanicals with almost no avail. I was thinking of using aloe vera flowers from my personal garden but i am not sure what flowers are safe to use and the process in wich to achieve the desired effect. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again

Medsen Fey
02-06-2010, 11:26 PM
To the best of my knowledge, aloe vera flowers are edible and could be used. If I recall, the FDA removed aloe from the list of additives that are GRAS (generally regarded as safe) in over-the-counter laxatives. That may have been a bit excessive on their part, but what else is new?

I've not seen any recipes using aloe flowers so you may have to chart your own course with them. If you try them, please post up a brewlog so we can all learn with you as you go.

There are a lot of threads here on botanical batches (lavender meads, rhodomels, various metheglins and such) that may be able to help you plan your effort. I'll be interested to hear what you decide.

And welcome to GotMead!

Medsen

Prolific_Praxis
02-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I've used a range of botanicals in my mead making. A Blue Lily and Blue Lotus mead we made was delicious even after a short time in bottles. A Wormwood mead my brewing partner insisted we make had to be fortified with two 750 ml bottles of Limoncello before bottling. I recently sampled a bottle from two years ago and it is like the tangiest, crispest champagne you've ever tasted and clear as glass. Do your research (this will give you knowledge you weren't looking for but are glad you discovered) and make sure your botanical additions will be safe for consumption. I did a three minute internet search and found three completely unrelated sites that has Aloe Flowers on its lists of consumable flowers, so that's a good sign. Before you consume a botanical in ANY quantity, do your research! I cannot stress this enough. A certified homeopath and or homeopathic books first, then check the internet for sources from the beforementioned. You won't be sorry; good luck!

trennels
02-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Blue lotus sounds really good! I used to drink Blue Lotus tea before bed and I've always been fond of the flavor.

Aloe isn't generally regarded as safe in laxatives because it's cathartic- it will turn you inside out! I'm thinking the flowers should be okay, though. I'd love to know what kind of flavor it imparts.

Does anyone know a good place to get reasonably fresh passion flowers without waiting until the end of Summer?