PDA

View Full Version : <$14 for 32oz of Grade B Maple Syrup

ZachR
02-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Saw this (http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1852173) on slickdeals.com (http://www.slickdeals.net) and thought some people here might want to take advantage. Is $13.72 for a quart of Grade B syrup a good price? I also assume that Grade B is preferable for fermenting since it has a stronger maple taste that would hold up better to the fermentation process, am I correct?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_grocery?tag=slickdeals&ie=UTF8&search-alias=grocery&field-brandtextbin=Highland+Sugarworks

"Amazon has Highland Sugarworks Pancake Mix and Maple Syrup on sale. Save an additional 25% when you combine 10% off code HIGHLAND with 15% subscribe & save discount. Thanks phaltukachra

Note, you may cancel subscribe & save any time after you place your order."

Items: $18.30
Shipping & Handling: $6.47
Shipping Discount -$6.47
Subscription Discount -$2.75
Promotion Applied -$1.83

Total Before Tax: $13.72
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Total: $13.72

wayneb
02-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Well, the last time I bought some, I paid $18 for a half gallon of Grade B, but that was almost a year and a half ago now.

akueck
02-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Maple syrup has shot up in price around here and $18 for a quart of (high quality) syrup isn't unreasonable anymore. Worth a shot IMO.

AToE
02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
That's pretty reasonable, most stores up here sell it for roughly double that price.

Mars Colonist
04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I found "Uncle Lukes" Grade A Dark Amber at SamsClub for $14 / 32oz. I picked some up for an upcoming 1 gallon acerglyn. After purchasing, Ive read mixed reviews. Anyone with experience with this brand?

Loadnabox
04-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I found "Uncle Lukes" Grade A Dark Amber at SamsClub for $14 / 32oz. I picked some up for an upcoming 1 gallon acerglyn. After purchasing, Ive read mixed reviews. Anyone with experience with this brand?

I prefer grade B maple syrup, ha a much better flavor IMHO even on pancakes.

As for in brewing I won't comment, my title says it all, the yeast knows more than me.

AToE
04-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Unless you're considering returning it I'd just crack it open and taste it, no amount of people's comments will ever give you even close to the data that will tell you!

I've had some suppliers of maple syrup that are indeed better than others, but it's all good. It's tree sap, it is what it is, and unlike honey it's not damaged by the heating process it goes through - so there's not really much chance of it being "bad" just perhaps not quite as awesome as it could have possibly been (I'm guessing those improvements come from soil, weather, so forth and so on, rather than anything the manufacturer does to it).

TheAlchemist
04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
On the subject of acerglyns, about how many oz of syrup do people use per gal of acerglyn?

Mars Colonist
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Looking at the mead calculator, for a 1.25gal batch @ 1.125 SG and finish @ 1.020 (14% ABV), 2.5# honey and 24floz of maple syrup. That is what I plan to shoot for.

AToE
04-26-2011, 05:37 PM
On the subject of acerglyns, about how many oz of syrup do people use per gal of acerglyn?

Same answer you're probably expecting to get: any ratio you want.

There is no consensus on a good ratio at all, this isn't a very common style of mead. A strong honey like buckwheat maybe the mead should only be a quarter honey and 3/4 maple (amounts as contribution to SG not weight or volume), a light honey maybe only 10% should come from maple, then we can re-do all those formulas based on how much the person likes maple, and how dry it'll be (I find dry acerglyns are better with less maple, sweeter ones can get away with more). The list goes on and on.

My best answer is just wing it, err on the side of too much maple rather than too little. Then, a year or two from now (not sure about sweet ones, but dry fermented maple takes for f-n ever to age) you can evaluate and change the ratios!

Man I love/hate how slow this hobby is! Takes years to find out if your recipe was any good, during which time you've made even more that you won't know if it's better for more years!!!!

Chevette Girl
04-26-2011, 08:26 PM
My best answer is just wing it, err on the side of too much maple rather than too little. Then, a year or two from now (not sure about sweet ones, but dry fermented maple takes for f-n ever to age) you can evaluate and change the ratios!

A recipe I've used many many times and am quite happy with is 1 540 ml can of syrup to 1 kg honey... with my lack of attention to pH it tends to stop around 1.020-030... it's a starting place, anyway.