PDA

View Full Version : Acacia honey?

jdw03n
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Good morning!

Anyone done any work with Acacia and have some input on how it compares to other honeys? I searched the forums and saw some qualitative feedback on the honey in general, but I've not seen anyone that's had solid info on the by-the-numbers comparison.

I recently came into possession of about 4 pounds of it, and I want to make sure I'm not wasting it :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Angelic Alchemist
02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
It's very sweet, due to the fructose content. Honestly, I think it tastes a lot like high fructose corn syrup. I have a friend who argues that some of the French varieties are buttery, but I've never had any that do anything that interesting to my palate.

You could probably use the search function on this site to get more info from other threads about it.

Wolfie
02-16-2010, 04:01 AM
What really counts is what you taste in it. It can take a while to start telling flavors in honey and actually picking out different character. For strong examples of character try comparing Orange Blossom, Clover, and Buckwheat. Clover is considered a "standard" honey by many but it has distinctive flavors just like every other honey.

It may take a while for your palate to discern more complex things, (I certainly don't think I can taste a quarter of what Oskaar can taste) for that matter others may taste things you did not see at all. Unless Oskaar or some other super taster here on the forum have experienced acacia honey would like to chime in their impressions, in the end the important point in a decision is what you taste yourself.

Best of luck, and btw, dont sell yourself short--read up on honey descriptors and think about it and try tasting the honey a few times to see what you can ferret out of the flavors for yourself. You may be surpirsed at how much you have to offer about this rare honey.

Hope that helps, I'd love to hear your impressions.

/z

jdw03n
02-16-2010, 09:34 AM
I've got a semi-sweet traditional with tupelo that's been sitting for two years now. Think I'll try running a similar batch with this and compare down the road.

I *did* use the search before I asked :)

Angelic Alchemist
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I've got a semi-sweet traditional with tupelo that's been sitting for two years now. Think I'll try running a similar batch with this and compare down the road.

I *did* use the search before I asked :)

Heh, yeah, I did a search for it after I posted and saw there wasn't a ton of info on the topic. ;)

Smarrikåka
02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
I'd say it is a "clean" honey, it's high in fructose, and probably doesn't have much in it besides the sugars, thus no real "special" taste, and if so it's very subtle. What seperates it, is more that its pleasent light straw colour, its consistency, and "user-friendly-ness" (for example: it won't ever crystalise).