PDA

View Full Version : A valuable lesson learned today or yum yum coatings on the wall

thecaleb
02-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm still fairly inexperienced at the whole mead making. Over the past year I've made two capsimels, an acerglyn, and this weekend a braggot. Well today (shortly after getting home from having a car wreck) I learned that braggots can explode all over the place while the yeasties are happily feasting away in the carboy. I only lost a 1/4 of the batch and I think it's salvageable. Well see.

ZachR
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Ouch... rough day. My condolences for your car and your braggot.

Keep us updated on the batch, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to save most of it...

Pewter_of_Deodar
02-16-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm still fairly inexperienced at the whole mead making. Over the past year I've made two capsimels, an acerglyn, and this weekend a braggot. Well today (shortly after getting home from having a car wreck) I learned that braggots can explode all over the place while the yeasties are happily feasting away in the carboy. I only lost a 1/4 of the batch and I think it's salvageable. Well see.

I would bet that almost every one of us that has been brewing for any length of time has done this at least once... wso you are not alone...

thecaleb
02-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Thank you. It was one of those days that by the time I arrived and saw that I just had to laugh and close the door for a while.

socpsy
02-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad day! :( Just curious, what yeast were you using?

thecaleb
02-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I was using K1116.

Also I would like to note I racked it over and of course gave it a taste. Now this is the first time i've ever had a braggot and I'm happily pleased with the way it is coming out. It's pleasantly dry with a wonderful flavor and a very slight bannana smell.

thecaleb
02-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad day! :( Just curious, what yeast were you using?

I already answered your question in the previous post but I just realized you are in Calontir. I'm a very casual Scadian never been official but I am in the barony of forgotten sea. Where do you hail from?

socpsy
02-22-2010, 12:45 PM
I already answered your question in the previous post but I just realized you are in Calontir. I'm a very casual Scadian never been official but I am in the barony of forgotten sea. Where do you hail from?

I'm from Grimfells (where we tend to eat our own young if they don't display strength, speed, and cunning!...at least that's the legend!) ;D I actually live in Siloam Springs, AR.

I've brewed about 5 braggots since I began this brewing stuff and, generally, they've turned out well. One exception was was based on second runnings. I had two gallons. I made 1 gallon with cranberry honey and the other with eastern buckwheat. The former was nice, the latter really sucked!

thecaleb
02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm from Grimfells (where we tend to eat our own young if they don't display strength, speed, and cunning!...at least that's the legend!) ;D I actually live in Siloam Springs, AR.

I've brewed about 5 braggots since I began this brewing stuff and, generally, they've turned out well. One exception was was based on second runnings. I had two gallons. I made 1 gallon with cranberry honey and the other with eastern buckwheat. The former was nice, the latter really sucked!

I think that's a wonderful legend. I live in Kansas City, MO. So far my favorite mead to make has been capsimels but I'm a nut for spicy food. I'll have to remember that with the honeys. I've only tried two varieties thus far; clover for my first ever batch of mead and Missouri wild flower for everything since then. It's been a fun hobby thus far.

socpsy
02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I think that's a wonderful legend. I live in Kansas City, MO. So far my favorite mead to make has been capsimels but I'm a nut for spicy food. I'll have to remember that with the honeys. I've only tried two varieties thus far; clover for my first ever batch of mead and Missouri wild flower for everything since then. It's been a fun hobby thus far.

I've got 2.5gal of a chocolate/chipotle aging in jugs. I was intrigued by the notion of putting some heat into a mead, so I brewed up some...more or less trial and error! So far, the results seem to be good!

I spend about 10 or 11 days in KC each June when the Advanced Placement grading takes place. Always, enjoyable to visit. I may head up to Smithville after I'm finished with AP this year and get in a few days at Lillies War. We'll see. :)