PDA

View Full Version : Do nutrients/additives expire?

mjhughes
02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I recently purchased some nutrients I.E. fermaid k, dap, go-ferm and the package says best if used within 6 months. Is it ok to use after 6mo, do i need to use more after that time?

wayneb
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Hightest has done some more detailed digging, getting info from Ed Marks on Winepress as well as from the actual manufacturers of brewing-related products, and has compiled a table of all that information on his website: http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/ Go there, and click on the Brewing Additive Shelf Life link. As far as whether or not to use something after its "expiration date," I follow the following rule of thumb. I don't use it past his recommended storage time, and I store all my chemicals in a very dry, very cool place, in airtight containers.

jfisherman7
02-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Don't risk it. Why would you risk $50-$100 worth of honey and fruit on a few dollars worth of additives? I buy fresh additives for every batch.

mjhughes
02-19-2010, 12:46 PM
I was confused because everything I have bought from my local HBS didn't have an experation on it. Then when I ordered from Midwest, the packages stated that they be used within 6mo of purchase with no expiration date. I thought that was odd so I asked here. Then when I checked the high test site they stated 2-3 years.

I am assuming that they post a 6mo from purchase to cover themselfs from people who dont store the items properly. Just like pasta and rice you buy from the store. They assume that the items will be stored in the worst case for there product. I.E (in a warm moist enviroment) and there products will only last 1 year, But under proper storage both will last 10 years.

wayneb
02-19-2010, 01:06 PM
I am assuming that they post a 6mo from purchase to cover themselfs from people who dont store the items properly. Just like pasta and rice you buy from the store.

I agree with that. I also know that in years past, some of the LHBS that I dealt with didn't really keep track of the shelf time of chemicals that they had in stock. So, telling you to keep them no longer than 6 months gave them lots of shelf time pad.