PDA

View Full Version : Aeration during Growth Phase

dr9
02-21-2010, 07:46 PM
From the NewBee Guide:

To avoid stressing the yeast during their growth phase, it is important to provide them with the oxygen they need. Aerate the Must a couple of times a day for the first three days by using an aeration stone, shaking, or stirring with a Lees stirrer. Make sure you sanitize whatever equipment you are going to use before putting it into the Must. Aerate for 2 to 5 minutes depending on the method, and then cover the Must again. WARNING - There will be CO2 dissolved in the solution that will begin to bubble out when you begin to aerate the must. This can sometimes result in a geyser effect that could spray your walls and ceiling, and will result in the loss of some of the must. To avoid this, gently agitate the liquid to expel the CO2 before you begin to add the oxygen. This is particularly important if you are using the shaking method.

I've got extra buckets and such. To avoid spray, can I pour into a sanitized big bucket and just shake out the CO2 and get O2 into the must, twice daily? It would have air exposure, but it would also have the same exposure with a wine whip or lees stirrer too, if my understanding of those contraptions are correct. And by air, I mean ambient air, not just closed air in the vessel, since it would be transferred, a half-assed racking in a way.

Here's the recipe, but the question is more general than specific to it...

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139101#post139101

Thanks!

Medsen Fey
02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
You can do it that way, but it seem like a lot more work than simply stirring the mead. It might also increase the risk of contamination, though I think that is not likely to be a problem. The easiest solution I have come up with is to just use a large primary - I often use a 10 gallon pail for 5-6 gallon batches. Antifoam drops really help with smaller fermenters.

dr9
02-21-2010, 08:55 PM
I see what you are saying, I've got it in a 1 gallon glass jug now, but maybe I should transfer to one of my 6 gallon buckets for at least the first 3 days so I can shake it up recklessly. In other words, instead of transfering to a bucket and then putting it back into the glass, and doing that twice daily, just leave it in the bucket. It seems so obvious. But sometimes you (I) just need to hear someone else say something reasonable for the truth to become apparent.

Thanks!