PDA

View Full Version : too much oxygen during racking to secondary

owlhawk
02-24-2010, 12:44 AM
I racked my 5 gallon to secondary tonight, but I think I got too much oxygen in the must. is there anyway I can fix this?

12 - 13lbs honey amber, white from bulk barn
1/2 gallon cider
1/2 gallon apple juice
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 package yeast
1 whole clove
fill with water

started jan 26 /10
-kayley wanted cinnamon but forgot to buy a cinnamon stick

Wed feb 3/10
still bubbling happily away.
-bubbling has slowed down from the initial frenzy but is still very strong and steady.
-wondering if I should add a bit more apple juice? 1 gallon or so

Tues feb 8/10
-added approximately 1 litre of apple juice. it foamed a bit and the bubbling sped up to 1 per second. 1 week later and it is still bubbling at the same rate.
-also added 2 cinnamon sticks

Tues feb23/10
racked to secondary. too much oxidation

akueck
02-24-2010, 02:53 AM
I haven't tried it after the fact, but maybe adding some SO2 would help?

I'm not a sulfite guru, but I am up later than folks in other time zones. ;)

Medsen Fey
02-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Using sulfites can offer some protection. One Campden tablet per gallon would typically be enough.

What makes you say there was excessive oxygenation during your racking?

owlhawk
02-24-2010, 10:22 AM
there was way too much splashing during the siphoning and the last 2 inches or so I just could not get to siphon so I eventually had to pour it in using a funnel and a sterile cloth for filtering. From what I've read here and discussed with friends that brew, splashing and bubbles during this is bad. Would it be ok with enough aging?

Medsen Fey
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Generally speaking, splashing is bad. There should be no splashing if you have you siphon hose long enough to reach the bottom of the container you are racking into. If you need a longer siphon hose, you should get it - it's cheap. Then you can rack down just above the lees and have no splashing on the other end.

As for pouring, I recommend against it. You always need to plan to leave some behind (what I refer to as the Devil's share). That is how you eliminate the yeast and sediment. The price of having clear mead is that you have to leave some behind when racking (unless you filter, and even then, some will be left in the filter).

I doubt you have harmed your mead at this point, because there was probably enough dissolved CO2 to chase the most of the oxygen out of the container you were racking into. Still, adding some KMeta may be a good idea. You may want to practice racking (you can use plain water) until you get comfortable with doing it smoothly. That way you'll minimize the chances for oxidation going forward.

Medsen

owlhawk
03-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Alright, I was finally able to get some Camden Tablets and added 4 crushed up. The package said to use 1 per 4litres. I would prefer to be under rather then over the proper amount. Hopefully this will work.

thanks,
Owlhawk